Meraki MX65 LTE failover

StarDust
Conversationalist

Meraki MX65 LTE failover

Wanted to connect a LTE modem to the MX but looking at the documentation. It seems that in Canada only a few devices are supported.

I want to use Cypress Oxygen-3 modem. If only USB ports are available for the second WAN port, could I not use a USB to Ethernet dongle and will this work!

5 REPLIES 5
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi
If I understand you right.
You are considering a third party device (Router) which converts LTE USB to Ethernet.
The Ethernet Link from the 3rd party device will be used as Internet Link on WAN Port 2 of MX65 as a failover link.

I do not see any challenge in this setup as long as there is Internet on the Ethernet Link.
Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Do you want to use the device as an active secondary WAN connection or just for failover?

Do you have a single WAN connection or redundant WAN connections currently?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
StarDust
Conversationalist

Yes, you nailed it. I will be using this is an Ethernet active-active network design. The Cypress Oxygen 3 is a LTE gateway that will connect to the carriers wireless APN via a static IP. The only drawback to these are the constant keepalives so I'm anticipating about 2Gigs of data monthly. Unless I'm missing something here, I believe the USB connection would be active-failover which I believe can take up to 3 minutes to build the IPSec tunnel (VPN) and since this would be a PoS environment, this design is not an option.

Now, I have heard in the grapevine that Meraki will be bringing SIM supported LTE models this year. This being the case, would solve everything.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

The USB is really only for a last ditch failover if WAN1 and WAN2 are down. 

Othwerise I prefer cradlepoint devices.  They work well to reliably convert cellular network to ethernet. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm with @AjitKumar - don't use the USB devices because they are a real pain.  Get an LTE hot spot that has Ethernet ports, and plug it into a WAN port.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels