Meraki MX64 with VDSL config issue

Peter05
Just browsing

Meraki MX64 with VDSL config issue

Hi

Wondered if anyone can help

I have a VDSL and I have connected the MX64 internet port to the modem, and it logs onto the internet and receives the IP address from my ISP.

I have also connected the MX64 LAN port to my network, however it does not receive a local IP address so I cannot access the internet through the MX64.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

the mx is online in the dashboard?

your mx is in routed mode?

what device is on the lan side?

you can make a packet capture on the lan side and look if the device is receiving discovers and sending offers

Peter05
Just browsing

Hi

The MX is online in the dashboard

not sure if its in routed mode

Lan side is a windows Domain Controller with DHCP

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you got DHCP enabled on the MX?

Did you try releasing and renewing your IP address so you get an IP address from your MX?

Is the MX LAN side addressing different from the WAN side addressing being given out by your VDSL router?

Hi

DHCP is enabled for the internet and LAN ports, but not as a server as I have a Windows DHCP Server

the LAN side is a 172 address and the WAN site is an 80 address

Thanks

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are using a Windows DHCP server then make sure you have the DHCP server disabled on the MX.

I believe that it is disabled

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What is the LAN IP address you have assigned to the MX64?  I assume nothing else is using that IP address.

When you have the MX64 plugged into the LAN can you ping that IP address?

Is your Windows DHCP server giving out that IP address as the default gateway?

What are you using for your DNS settings on your clients?  If they are using the Windows Server to DNS, what DNS servers is Windows DNS server configured to forward the DNS queries onto?

Hi

Thanks for the response

I think that is where the problem is, my DHCP is not giving the mx an ip address.

the mx shows public and WAN IP as the same address, but it does not show me a LAN IP.

if I connect direct to the MX it shows a 192.168 address, but I cannot seem to change that setting.

I do not think the MX is requesting an IP.

re dns my server does that which then routes to opendns servers.

the gateway I cannot change as I dont know the LAN ip of the MX

Thanks

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need to configure the LAN IP address on the MX via the dashboard.  It will not get it from your Windows DHCP server.  The IP address you configure should be what the DHCP server is giving out for the default gateway to be used.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You configure the LAN IP address under:

Security & SD-WAN/Addressing & VLANs

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It should look something like this (except with your IP addressing):

Screenshot from 2019-02-21 20-31-56.png

OK thanks for you help

I wont be able to have a look until tonight, will report back

Thanks

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The dashboard is accessible from any Internet connection ... and if you have it right you should be able to ping your DHCP server from the MX.

I had to disconnect the MX last night as I had to reconnect the original router to get back online
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels