Meraki MX as Home router with EERO as AP

JacoboLevy
Getting noticed

Meraki MX as Home router with EERO as AP

I have a client that has an MX64 at home in order to have site-site connectivity to his businesses and he is currently using EERO AP’s on a bridged configuration not routing anything all handled by Meraki. he wants to discipline his 13 year old removing access to wifi (streaming, gaming etc) with an on/off switch EERO allows you to do that as long as is doing the routing (not in bridge) i could do a separate VLAN for the EEROS but then need to deal with all the routing between the smart home devices (wired and wireless) and don’t wanna deal with double nating looking here for any Ideas/Recommendations on how to. thanks in advanced.

6 REPLIES 6
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What about one SSID with VLAN A for the parents and another SSID with VLAN B for the kid. On the MX you can assign different Group-policies to both VLANs.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I don't think you stated the problem.  Can't you just plug this Eero in to an active port and use it with it's features?  Unless you specifically know of some application that will choke I think it would be quite rare to have a problem.  Half the world does double NAT behind their service provider's modem and it is very rarely an issue.  

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

I tried that but had trouble with half of the home automation system, whatever is wired is not talking to the wireless devices and viceversa. 

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

With this problem, you likely need an AP with granular access-control between different users. The Meraki MR access-points are capable of this, but the MX can not solve this problem.

The main reason why he bought the Eero and has 7 of them deployed besides that he does not need to buy a license for them is that he can jump in on his Eero App phone  and disable his son profile whenever he doesn’t do his chores. the only way I think i might be able to achieve this is turning off DHCP on MX connect a Eero directly to the MX and from the eero to the main distribution switch. Let me know of it makes sense

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Seems he bough a lot of devices without checking if these fulfilled his needs ...

Can you elaborate on your plan with disabling DHCP? I don't get yet how this should achieve anything.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels