Meraki MX and UniFi AP

SOLVED
tantony
Head in the Cloud

Meraki MX and UniFi AP

I'm trying to adopt a UniFi AP, but I'm not able to ping it for some reason.  When I login to the Meraki cloud, I can see the MX giving the UniFi a dhcp, but I can't ping it from the Meraki dashboard either.

I don't have any firewalls in place.  Any ideas why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tantony
Head in the Cloud

I got it figure out.  It was a combination of switch and AP setting issue.  I made 2 VLANs trunk, and one access.  On the UniFi controller I applied VLANs to the SSIDs that I want, and no VLAN for the remaining one.  I have a total of 3 SSIDs for each VLAN.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
tantony
Head in the Cloud

Also just to make sure it's not a switch issue, I connected a laptop to the same trunk port on the switch where the AP was connected.  The laptop got the correct VLAN dhcp and it's able to access the network, but when I connect the AP it looks like it's getting a dhcp, but I can't ping it.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience in dealing with this.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do the APs usually respond to ping?  Perhaps they have a built in firewall.

@PhilipDAth 

This is not a Meraki issue.  I'm able to ping the AP.  I have the AP working now, but for some reason its keeping the factory default IP.  I'm able to connect to the SSIDs based on the VLAN, so I know my switch is correct also.

I need to figure out that part.  Thanks for the reply.

Ben
A model citizen

I know this probably won't help your case but you can always purchase an MR. 😃

I'm not really familiar with unifi, had a look at the dashboard once and found it being quite messy but don't you have an option somewhere to give the AP a fixed ip? 

tantony
Head in the Cloud

I would love to get a MR, but I don't want to pay for another cloud licensing.  This is not a Meraki issue.

Which Unifi AP are you using?

I have multiple Unifi AP (Outdoor/+, Mesh AC, Mesh Pro), which they are controlled thru Unifi controller. The switch are unifi running in conjunction with MX 64.

You might issue where the AP my be stuck due change of controller or location of where it was first adopted. Alot of this happeneds due to the Unifi default inform-set is set to http://unifi.8080, something like. Uusually i have to set the inform set to the specifuc WAN ip of the controller that is ip so the AP nows where to go to grab or be setup, etc.

You might want to reset the AP to default setting and re adopt.

UniFi AP AC PRO. This is connected to a Netgear switch trunk port. But its not getting a dhcp. But, if connect a laptop to the same trunk port, the laptop gets dhcp. 

tantony
Head in the Cloud

Just wondering if any other suggestions?  

I would check Layer 1.  Cat 5 cables, and PoE injector.  You should be able to ping Unifi AP's.  Does your Chrome discovery tool find the AP?

tantony
Head in the Cloud

Checked cable. Replaced cable just in case. Same issue. The AP itself is not getting dhcp. I have different SSIDs connected to different VLANs and they work.

Chrome discover can’t find AP unless I change my laptop to 192.168.1.0 subnet. Same as earlier.

Just to be clear, everything works, but the AP is not getting IP. I haven’t tried manually assigned an IP. 

Did you reset the AP to defaults?  Is the IP 192.168.1.20?  Was the IP statically set?

tantony
Head in the Cloud

Reset AP couple of times. 192.168.1.20 is factory AP IP, that’s why I gave myself a 192.168.1.0 subnet IP

What VLAN is this on, I had a Similar Issue setting up an UniFi Access Point. Had an issue with the VLAN assignment and it came up and running shortly after.

@MerakiGuy90 

The UniFi AP is connected to a trunk port which have VLANs 2,3,4. The PVID is 4. So the AP should be getting a VLAN 4 dhcp but its not. When connect a laptop to the same trunk port the laptop gets a VLAN 4 dhcp. 

tantony
Head in the Cloud

What was the issue with VLAN assignment? I’m using a Netgear switch connected to MX. I tried a new UniFi AP same thing. It gets dhcp from switch but can’t ping it from MX dashboard. 

tantony
Head in the Cloud

I made some changes to the Netgear switch.  I removed the trunk port, and made it an access port with members of VLANs 2,3,4.  PVID is 4.  The AP is getting dhcp from VLAN 4, and I'm able to adopt the AP from the UniFi controller.  But when I connect to the SSIDs, they say "No Internet"

tantony
Head in the Cloud

I got it figure out.  It was a combination of switch and AP setting issue.  I made 2 VLANs trunk, and one access.  On the UniFi controller I applied VLANs to the SSIDs that I want, and no VLAN for the remaining one.  I have a total of 3 SSIDs for each VLAN.

kordm
Getting noticed

I find it a lot easier to keep track of VLANs when you think of them as "tagged" or "untagged".

"Access" and "trunk" don't really mean anything for the VLANs themselves, only how the switch port allows traffic. It took a bit to wrap my head around VLAN assignments to Brocade switches after working with strictly Cisco iOS but now I can't think of it any other way.

I would agree with @kordm I have to think of them as tagged or untagged.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels