Meraki MX IPsec over a PPTP Tunnel ?

MerakiNovice
New here

Meraki MX IPsec over a PPTP Tunnel ?

Hello, 

We have a PPTP tunnel towards a datacenter we own, the tunnel is made in a router towards our datacenter, the Meraki is connected to that router and all of the internet is actually comin through that PPTP tunnel .

The Ipsec connects but doesn't learn any routes .. what might the problem be ? 

your help is highly appreciated 

Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you talking about  the 3rd party vpn? https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/Configuring_Site-to-site_VPN_between_MX_Applian...

It does not learn routes dynamically

No, its not a 3rd party VPN, but the internet that feeds the Meraki itself is a tunneled internet, so Meraki shoudn't have any idea about that .

Everything in the Meraki MX is just the usual configuration default settings .

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

So your not learning routes in the autovpn? And on other sites  it works ?

Can you test mtu size from a client at the router 

ping www.meraki.com -l 1472 -f

Correct ! we can't learn the routes through the autovpn, and you are right about the MTU I went here just to get someone reaching this level, though .. the pptp tunnel handles 1450 Byte MTU that is correct, but I have used MRRU to increase the data that could be transmitted on the tunnel to 1600 Bytes, so I can easily ping packets with 1472 Byte size normally now .

Yet the issue is still the same we can't learn routes, I was thinking to change the MTU size by contacting Meraki but I don't have access to the customer's portal, and I think the mrru is enough to fix the issue over the pptp link .

What do you think ?

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I guess thats fine then.

Are you sure they setup the autovpn  routing  correct. Like bgp or select vlan to be in vpn.

Everything sure is correct, because if they use a different internet connection even cellular one, they just work fine . I don't even know where to troubleshoot .

To let you know the router making the pptp is a Mikrotik router .

The ping could go fine up to 1500 packet size 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels