MX85 Dashboard port numbers, versus eventlog and lldp port numbers ?

SOLVED
thomasthomsen
Head in the Cloud

MX85 Dashboard port numbers, versus eventlog and lldp port numbers ?

So Im trying to troubleshoot some issues on a network with a MX85.

In the eventlog for the MX85 I for example see "device: port3, carrier: false".

Port 3 , on the dashboard UI page of the MX85 is the WAN1 RJ45 port, so this would be "bad".

What boggles me, is that if this Port3 losts its carrier, then it would mean that WAN1 was down, and that I should then see a "Primary uplink status change" in the evenlog as well (since this MX has two running WAN links - not dual active).

But I do not.

I also see one or twice a "device: port4, carrier: false" and that would mean (according to the dashboard UI) that WAN2 would be down ?

(Im not worried at all .... ... .... ).

I then looked at the downlink switch, and on the lldp/cdp neighbour information of this switch it says : Meraki MX85 - fw01 / 6 - but there is nothing connected to Port 6 on the MX85.

(the other downlink switch says : Meraki MX85 - fw01 / 7 for the lldp/cdp neighbour information).

The actual dashboard UI ports are 11 and 12.

So what can I conclude about this ?

Is the eventlog information = the UI truth ?

Or is there an "offset" somewhere, because the lldp/cdp information is clearly not equal to the UI.

/Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For example this is how my MX95 is cabled and how the LLDP info looks from downstream switches

Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 09.33.50.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My first idea was that it could somehow relate to the port mapping that is also used in templates:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/MX_Cold_Swap_Replacing_an_Existing_MX_with_a_Differ...

But no, does not align here at all ... 

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

AFAIK the WAN port numbering internally is 0 & 1. And the LAN port numbering also starts at 0.

So, for a MX85 the LAN ports from an ifconfig or LLDP perspective would appear as LAN 0-9. Using that numbering your info of physical ports 11 & 12 would equate to the internal numbering scheme mapping to 6 & 7.

For example this is how my MX95 is cabled and how the LLDP info looks from downstream switches

Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 09.33.50.png

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ok, that makes sense. Is it documented somewhere?

Not sure. Added to my to do list for next week to see if it is documented. And if not, I will create it.

But it's probably the case that all MX models are 0,1 for WAN ports and 0-x for the LAN ports.

Ok found it. It's already mentioned HERE.

There’s a bug on the MX84 in that any LAN port shows as 0 in LLDP. No other models should be affected.  

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

i.m.o its a bit confusing, even more when you also trow in the event log port number that is also different from the dashboard port number and the lldp number.  

At a mx95

lan port 8 = lldp port 3 = event log device: port 7

at a mx67

lan port 4 = lldp port 2 = event log device: port 3

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Agreed

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels