MX68CW and Verizon SIM Card Issue

Solved
Flyman
Conversationalist

MX68CW and Verizon SIM Card Issue

I recently purchased a MX68CW and when I contacted my cellular provider, Verizon, to purchase a SIM card, they informed me that the MX68CW will not work with a Verizon SIM.  Does anyone know when Cisco and Verizon will be able to resolve this problem?  Otherwise I am unable to use the cellular backup feature of the Meraki router unless I open a new account with AT&T or other cellular provider.

1 Accepted Solution
Jerome_EVAGroup
Here to help

When I was playing with MX68CW and Verizon SIM Card a while ago, I was able to make it work using Verizon APN "vzwinternet"

As far as I remember, it was the only one stricly requiring an APN to make it work 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
LasseBang
Getting noticed

Hmm I remeber that it was listed as "Verizon (Certification Pending)" on documation page, and now its listed as tested so mabye the person you talked with was not up to date or Meraki Documation is not up to date 🙂

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Overviews_and_Specifications/MX67_and_MX68_Overview_and_Speci...

Flyman
Conversationalist

LassBang,

Thanks so much for your reply.   I looked at the documentation and agree, the Meraki has been tested with Verizon.  I am calling them now and ordering a SIM card.

Thanks much!!

Flyman
Conversationalist

LasseBang,

I spent about an hour on the phone yesterday with Verizon and they were unable to provide a SIM card, because they insisted that there is incompatibility with Meraki and their system would not allow it.  I informed them of the Meraki documentation which indicated that it had been tested, but still no luck.  Finally, they switched me over to their technical support and still no luck. Their technical support conferenced me on a call with Cisco Meraki, who went through the procedure of installing the SIM in the MX68CW and recommended powering it down and felt assured that it would work.  I took the SIM out of my working iPad and installed it into my MX68CW in hopes of proving Verizon wrong, but still no luck!  However it did recognize that the SIM was installed, but it would not activate.  Now I am at a loss and it's up to Cisco Meraki and Verizon to work out this problem.  I am planning to contact Meraki again this morning and see if they can escalate the issue.  Thanks again for your help.

Jerome_EVAGroup
Here to help

When I was playing with MX68CW and Verizon SIM Card a while ago, I was able to make it work using Verizon APN "vzwinternet"

As far as I remember, it was the only one stricly requiring an APN to make it work 

I will try that.  Thanks much!!

I added the APN that you provided and it worked!!  I have an old iPad that has the same size SIM and I will get Verizon to activate it since they will not send me a new one and insist that the MX68CW is not in their system.  Thanks so much, you saved me a lot of headaches!

Jerome, thank you! I had this same issue. Adding the APN for Verizon brought up LTE on my 67C. Wrote this up for my team and added to our Jira Bitbucket. Thanks all!

mrfixit
Here to help

Hi, all, I know this is a old thread, but I wanted to provide some part numbers:

Verizon

M2MSIM-TRI-NR-D - Able to activate on Verizon, does not work in MX68CW with or without APN. Does work in MX67C and MG21E.

M2MTRI-NONRUG-GD-D - Able to activate on Verizon and works with APN vzwinternet in MX68CW (and MX67C).

M2MTRI-NONRUG-GT-A - Suggested by Verizon, but unable to procure or test SIM card.

Thank you to all who participated in this thread. Your comments helped me fight with Verizon to get this working. SIM card types do matter.

Do you know the way to identify VZN SIM cards? Thanks in advance!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels