MX68CW No outbound traffic when 4G failover is active

jeff_p
New here

MX68CW No outbound traffic when 4G failover is active

Hello,

I'm hoping someone could provide some troubleshooting suggestions to help me resolve an issue at a remote site.

I installed the MX at our property last month. Primary WAN connection is HughesNet satellite, 4G failover is provided by T-Mobile.

I tested the failover while on-site (i.e. physically unplugged WAN connection, waited for 4G to become active, could successfully browse the web). 

Now, several weeks later, when the 4G failover is the active connection, the folks onsite cannot get to external website. I had someone onsite walk through trouble shooting steps and they can't even ping google.com. From their perspective "there is no interent connection."

From the Meraki dash, I can see that the 4G connection is active, signal strength is good, and from the "Tools" page in the dash, I can ping the appliance, throughput test is ~10-15Mbps, and everything seems to be good.

We don't have any complicated VLANs, VPNs, etc. configured. The configuration is really barebones - we operate in a remote location and primarily use the MX appliance for the 4G failover and cloud based management.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Have you reached out to the provider? Maybe something is wrong with the subscription or maybe you're over some kind of data limit?

Can you ping one of the clients via the dashboard?

I will try this and report back as soon I can.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the 4G on a prepay plan, or have a data cap?

Maybe 80% of the time I see this the cellular data provider has cut the sim off.

I just wanted to follow-up here. 

The SIM we were using had plenty of available data, but it was a pre-paid plan that wasn't specific to "hot-spot" data. 

I had a hunch that @PhilipDAth was correct, and I got a new SIM card with a hot-spot data plan, and it's working great again.

I really appreciate the assistance and suggestions provided by the community. 

Cheers.

I have not directly connected the provider, but checked the account status and we're no where near our data limit.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels