MX68 to 1Gb WAN

SOLVED
tantony
Head in the Cloud

MX68 to 1Gb WAN

I’m using MX68 now. I’ll be upgrading our internet to be 1Gb but MX68 WAN won’t do 1Gb.  MX68 does 600 Mbps. 

Is MX75 the “cheapest” MX that can handle 1Gb?

Also, I have about 250 some days left on the current MX68 license, so if I get the next MX, can I just carry over the license?

https://meraki.cisco.com/product-collateral/mx-family-datasheet/?file

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Those numbers are from 14.x firmware.  I was suprised to. But I guess it can differ each firmware

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, the MX75 is the lowest model available that supports 1gbps WAN (without security features enabled).

Upgrading to a new MX model does require you to buy a new license for that model. However if you're using co-term licensing, you can still gain the benefit of the time left on the existing mx68 license.

tantony
Head in the Cloud

Thank you. I only have the AMP feature on the MX68. So if I enable it on the MX75 I might not get the full 1Gb?

Is it possible to copy the configs from MX68 to 75?  Configs such as VLANs, port forwarding, blocked sites etc?

Two options. 

Option 1 - Clone the MX68 network and place the MX75 (or whatever MX you move to) in the new network. It will copy all of the config over

Option 2 - Remove the MX68 from the network (with the remove button on the MX page) and then add the MXxx back to this network and it will assume all settings.

The couple of exceptions I can think of that get reset when you do either option is making sure the LAN port mapping aligns as MX models can have different LAN port counts. https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/MX_Cold_Swap_Replacing_an_Existing_MX_with_a_Differ...

And, if you have site to site VPN configured I believe it resets back to disabled when you remove a MX from a network or clone a MX network. So, just reenable S2S VPN if needed.

tantony
Head in the Cloud

May be I need MX95 since I’ll have AMP turned on?

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The listed drop in bandwidth is with all advanced security features enabled.

You can use the following sizing guide to determine the performance impact of each feature.

https://meraki.cisco.com/product-collateral/mx-sizing-guide/?file

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you ask yourself if you really need a faster MX? I have a couple of customers with 1Gig internet and even running a MX84. For sure they can't reach Gigabit-speed, but also when they had the slower Internet before, they never got to the max. And being "restricted" to 600 M will be sufficient for nearly everyone with a network that is small enough for an MX68.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Last time i tested mx68 i got like 800-900Mbit without IPS.  AMP impact on the speed is not huge.

As long  IDS/IPS is not used i would also just try to work with mx68.

tantony
Head in the Cloud

But it says below the MX68 stateful firewall throughput is 600 mbps.  That means that's the maximum WAN speed it can handle right?

tantony_0-1654175565438.png

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Those numbers are from 14.x firmware.  I was suprised to. But I guess it can differ each firmware

tantony
Head in the Cloud

Thank you for everyone's input.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels