MX68 out of box/reboot PoE behaviour

Solved
sungod
Head in the Cloud

MX68 out of box/reboot PoE behaviour

If a brand new MX68 is powered up (without any Internet connection), are the PoE ports always on? and do they then stay on, including for reboots, firmware updates etc.

We have a PoC coming up and there will be no landline WAN, so it's planned to use an external MG51. It's also hundreds of km from the closest person in my team, we need to be sure we can cover issues remotely once it's running.

If they can't get an injector in time, the option would be power the MG from an MX LAN PoE port.

I'd prefer a power injector, it avoids running two cables outside to the MG (one MX WAN, one MX LAN PoE).

I think the PoE ports are always on in normal operation, but if they switch off during reboot, firmware update etc. concerned it could cause longer outage while the MG restarts.

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

During the reboot, update the firmware of the PoE ports will be off.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

During the reboot, update the firmware of the PoE ports will be off.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thanks, I'll tell them definitely best to use an injector.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels