WAN Connections.

collosa
Here to help

WAN Connections.

Hi All!

Can one use two different ISP as backup for a High-Availability Pair setup?

ISP1 as primary on the HA on Vlan 888

Both ISP2 and ISP3 as secondary on the HA on Vlan 777

BR

Collins

8 REPLIES 8
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

There's no really easy way to use two links upstream of an MX on it's backup WAN port, currently.   You'd need a further upstream router, really.  This functionality will come to MX models with >2 WAN ports in the future, via firmware update.

Thanks for your quick response. Is it possible then to make ISP1 to be Primary uplink on MX64-01&02 HA

why I use ISP2 as backup or secondary connection for MX64-01 and ISP3 as  backup or secondary connection for MX64-03? Will this setup work?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Any ETA on this, we have been asking for it for the last four years 🙃

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

It could probably be made to work, if what you're providing is just Internet access (you'd have to have more than one Network for the three MXs) - VPN operations would be more complicated and it wouldn't be very 'Meraki-simple'.

Why does the customer need two backup links?   Given the cost of connectivity, two is enough for most customers - particularly if you use MX with built-in cellular (MX67C / MX68CW)

No worries. Thanks for your response. 

The setup I am talking about is a 2 X MX64  in HA and 3 different ISPs.

The reason we need 2 backup is because the current backup is not reliable. 

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I think I'd be tempted to get rid of the unreliable supplier and go for two decent uplinks.

That was my initial recommendation.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels