MX68 DHCP Server

Aviagen
Comes here often

MX68 DHCP Server

Hello, 

I intend to utilize a Meraki MX68 as a DHCP Server. Given that my ISP experiences frequent connectivity issues resulting in internet outages, is it necessary for the MX68 to be connected to the Cloud Dashboard to continue assigning IP addresses? Additionally, I have a file server on the internal network, and I would like my computers to retain access to it even during internet outages.

Thank you in advance. 

8 Replies 8
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The DHCP server is working completely local, so you don't need an internet access for it.

Also the file server will be accessible on the internal network. At least I hope to understand the question correctly.

CptnCrunch, 

I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for your prompt response to my question. Your timely and informative reply has been incredibly helpful and has provided me with the clarity I was seeking.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi, 

Yes and no. Loosing the connection to the cloud will not impact the fonctions of the MX68 like DHCP.

However , if the MX is offline for multiple hours/days , you might find that the MX isn't running the same configuration ( eg : ports are back to the default ). This is allegedly an expected behavior.

Aviagen
Comes here often

RaphaelL,

I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for your swift response to my inquiry. Your prompt attention to this matter is truly appreciated.

AlexP
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@RaphaelL wrote: 

This is allegedly an expected behavior.

Yes and no. All Meraki devices utilize what's known internally as a "safe config" to fall back on in the event that a prolonged outage occurs after a change.

Current running configs are copied/rotated into the safe config after 4 hours.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Which the "safe config" will probably end up in disrupting the client services in order to restore dashboard connectivity.

In the end , keeping your devices offline for a prolonged period is not a good idea/option

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I see your question has already been answered which is great but have you tried to resolve the internet outages or even change provider if they can't offer a reliable service? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels