cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX65 New Deployment - Small Network

Highlighted
New here

MX65 New Deployment - Small Network

Good Afternoon, I was hoping to get some assistance.

I have a brand new MX65 Im trying to deploy on a very small network.  The current flow is as follows:

Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Clients

I want to deploy as follows (This is for a single retail store with minimal data to protect):

Modem -> Firewall -> Router -> Switch -> Clients

Im looking to ensure basic port forwarding, firewall rules, and client VPN.  What is the best way to configure this?  It appears I have an option to make it either L2 pass-through or L3 routable.

Can I do L2 and have it work with basic firewall functions and Client VPN setup?  Or do I have to do it L3?

Also, is there any cabling differences between the two?  I have WAN going to the model, and port 1 on the firewall going to the router.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Re: MX65 New Deployment - Small Network

Firewalling and client vpn are possible in passthrough mode. But port forwarding makes no sense as the MX is not actually routing in this mode. Take a look at this link:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/Passthrough_Mode_on_the_MX_Security_Applian...

Have you thought about outright replacing the router by the mx?

Highlighted
Comes here often

Ive seen that page, but most of them seem to lack significant detail. 

Anyway, I was reading a section that mentioned I should make the MX65 the default gateway for all of my client's.  Is that correct?  

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

That's only the case if it's in router mode and if it's the first router passed on the path to the internet. If you would deploy it Internet -> MX -> Router -> Switch then the router would be the default gateway.

Highlighted
Getting noticed

The MX65 is a router. You don't need a separate one.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.