MX65 Cellular vs MX67C

SOLVED
JasonCampbell
Getting noticed

MX65 Cellular vs MX67C

Hi all,

I have a client that loves the MX67C cellular failover. We currently have most sites deployed with MX65's. Is there any major differences in cellular failover between the two models? Of course for the 65's a USB Modem is required. Any recommendations on best USB modem model for T-mobile and MX65 would be appreciated, as well.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MX67C allows you to see cellular diagnostic info - like signal strength.  The extra info can be very usefull if you are having 4G info.

The only downside is that rebooting the MX67C does not reboot the cellular model built into it - so if you are having a 4G issue and want to reset the built in modem you have to get someone on site to power cycle the MX67C.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MX67C allows you to see cellular diagnostic info - like signal strength.  The extra info can be very usefull if you are having 4G info.

The only downside is that rebooting the MX67C does not reboot the cellular model built into it - so if you are having a 4G issue and want to reset the built in modem you have to get someone on site to power cycle the MX67C.

@PhilipDAth wrote:

. . . rebooting the MX67C does not reboot the cellular model built into it . . . 

Conveniently, I found on the Z3C that disabling/enabling the LTE modem from the dashboard, effectively recycled it. If a USB modem is involved, I think I could explain to somebody how to remove and reinsert it. But not too enthusiastically.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

The MX67C means that for countries other than the US and Canada its not guess work to find out if your USB modem will work or not. 

Yes there is the documentatoin page that lists the support models but most of those are not available outside of said country. 

@BlakeRichardson wrote:

The MX67C means that for countries other than the US and Canada its not guess work to find out if your USB modem will work or not. 

Yes there is the documentatoin page that lists the support models but most of those are not available outside of said country. 

Actually, when I discussed this with Meraki folk, it became clear that nobody is properly tasked with helping MNO's validate that Meraki equipment operates within specifications on their networks.

Uncertainty as to the compatibility of Meraki hardware with MNOs is a hindrance. There is nothing complicated, we are dealing with international recognised standards and protocols. Meraki buys in LTE technology from established companies.

Meraki would help itself if the USB ports were USB-C 3.1. This is an oversight. Is there a demand? All our other equipment has USB "Superspeed" compliant USB ports, Meraki needs to address this oversight, it isn't rocket science.

I don't see the need for USB-c on MX units just yet, most devices still have USB type A plugs. Who wants a USB-c to USB A adaptor hanging out the back of their MX..

How many phones do you have that are not USB-C? Apple seems happy with USB-C.

The only kit I have that is less than USB 2.x is Meraki. I doubt it is any different in many other places.

Why are we plugging phones into firewalls is the question I would ask.

I appreciate everyone's responses! 

@Uberseehandel  I don't have a flash enough phone to have USB-c, a quick Google search doesn't list any USB-c modems either.

Some vendors still supply equipment with COM ports, I think what it comes down to is what is the basic requirement of the port, why spend extra money for a port thats not needed.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels