MX65-CR4N dual WAN setup

SOLVED
Roger68
Just browsing

MX65-CR4N dual WAN setup

I have been having issues with my ISP dropping connection so I ordered their 4G LTE failover service, unfortunately it uses NAT and cannot pass through my static IP's to the MX65 and will not work with my configuration.

I have been reading about a dual WAN setup on the MX65 which sounds like it might be a viable solution, I would setup the primary WAN for the static IP and let the secondary WAN use DHCP from the 4G LTE device. 

My question is, can I configure the MX65 to use the primary WAN unless it doesn't have connection at which point it would use the secondary WAN for internet traffic?
Thanks for taking the time to read about my issue, and for any advice you may have to offer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As the others have said, this is the default behaviour if you don't change anything.

The instructions are pretty much the same as for this load balancing guide - except you leave load balancing turned off.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MX_Load_Balancing_and_Flow_Preferen...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

It should automatically switch over if you lose your first WAN connection.

Enthusiast

So it will automatically use WAN1 by default and will switch over to WAN2 only if WAN1 fails? Then will switch back to WAN1 when connection is reestablished? No special configuration required to make that happen?

Thanks a bunch for your input!

Yes, it can be set up to default to WAN1 and fail-over to the secondary connection.  In the SD-WAN and Traffic Shaping configuration page of the MX you would set your Primary Uplink to WAN1 and set Load balancing to Disabled.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As the others have said, this is the default behaviour if you don't change anything.

The instructions are pretty much the same as for this load balancing guide - except you leave load balancing turned off.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MX_Load_Balancing_and_Flow_Preferen...

Thank you very much to everyone who has replied to my thread with information, I am pleased the MX65 can accommodate the dual WAN failover setup rather than sending back this 4G LTE device.
Thanks again for the super fast support!

CN
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

To add to that slightly, I would also recommend that if you're using VPN, to disable active-active VPN. Otherwise, a VPN tunnel will form on the secondary uplink. Disabling active-active VPN will make sure that VPN is only formed on the primary uplink. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/Meraki_Auto_VPN#Auto_VPN_-_A_Component_of_Merak...

Roger68
Just browsing

Thanks a bunch for the additional information, you guys are the best!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels