MX64 taking too long to register on Dashboard for the first time

cauefw
New here

MX64 taking too long to register on Dashboard for the first time

Hello everyone,

Im currently working in an implementation of a new network (via MPLS and Internet) and we noticed that the MX64 takes a long time to register on the Dashboard for the first time, it varies from 15-20min to 40-60minutes. It´s almost one hour just sitting watching the lights from the MX64 changing colors waiting it to connect to the Dashboard.

It eventually connects, but, this long time, is there any way to short it? How long does the MX64 should take to register itself on the Dashboard for the first time?

After the very "first" time, the registration process (like after reboot from firmware upgrade) is less than 3min total (including the reboot itself).

Any ideas why this first registration takes so long? Anything that can be monitored (despite the Local Status Page) or checked to give at least an idea of what is going on?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Adam
Kind of a big deal

In a lot of cases, the first time the device is turned on it catches up on firmware updates before it checks into the dashboard.  Switches can be particularly slow but MX and MR not as bad.  Beyond that, I haven't normally seen it take more than around 30 minutes. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

Hey Adam,

Thanks, but yeah, I don´t think it´s related to the firmware, as, once it registers itself, I can check on the uplink traffic the time it starts and the time it finish downloading the firmware, less than a minute after the uplink traffic goes down it reboots and start with the new firmware.

The delay, in this case, is before that process, it takes a lot of time to register itself on the Dashboard, not including the firmware update, just the registration, worst case was almost 60 minutes watching the blinking colored lights.

After the very first, any other registration (like after a power off, or something) is not that bad, about 3-5min top.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Thanks!

cta102
Building a reputation

If there are any firewalls (or proxies) between the MX and the outside world there can be really really long waits, particularly if the firewall (or proxy) has isn't playing nice with it's DNS resolution.

We have a customer where there are issues when the cloud endpoint moves and they will not allow proper DNS resolution to take place (even worse on an Ar**a install where the customer regularly cuts off the APs from the dashboard for multiple days until they get around to updating the "permitted" address on their firewall.)

That might be right, I´ve no access to the proxy to know what´s going on in there.

At the firewall level it seems just fine, but I can´t tell the same for the proxy.

I believe a good test would be use an internet connection via a 4G router and see what happens.

Still, odd situation, customer will say "hey, internet is working" but the MX64 takes 1 hour just to register! 🙂

Anyway, I´ll test and post back!

Thanks,

cta102
Building a reputation

Please do.

I have huge issues with a Meraki competitors cloud based solution for exactly those reasons

AZEIDLER
Comes here often

HELLO CAUEFW,

FYI ... Cisco System Engineer supporting us on this case has recomended a wireshark sniffer  during the MX-64 first register.  We have also agreed to collect the logs on the Internet proxy/ FW to identify if we have blocks.

RGDs

77002banks
Comes here often

I have been rebooting the MX after 20mins, MX then connects to dashboard.  We have two WAN connections and it is taking a while. I don't think it is ideal to reboot but have subscribed to this community for future updates.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels