MX64 & Verizon Fios Home Network Setup

SOLVED
Shadius
Building a reputation

MX64 & Verizon Fios Home Network Setup

Hi all,

I'm very new to this so please bare with me.

I received a Cisco Meraki MX64 and I'm wondering how do I install it on my Verizon Fios home network? I have the Fios Quantum Gateway Model FiOS-G1100, if that helps. 

The way that the equipment is connected right now is the ONT is connected to the Fios router's WAN port.

So do I just plug in the MX64 into one of the LAN ports? 

Any help is appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @Shadius you would connect the WAN/Internet interface of your MX64 to your ISP.  The MX64 will connect to the Meraki cloud for its firmware and configuration only via the WAN/Internet port.  The LAN side of the MX64 is what connects towards your home network, the WAN side of the MX64 points towards your Internet access.  So it sounds like you'll connect the Internet port of the MX64 to a LAN port on your FiOS device and the WAN port of the FiOS device to your ONT which sounds like you said is already connected.  I'm assuming you already have a Meraki Dashboard account created and have claimed the MX64 so you can confirm it comes online in the Meraki Dashboard and configure it?  Let us know if you need more info.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @Shadius you would connect the WAN/Internet interface of your MX64 to your ISP.  The MX64 will connect to the Meraki cloud for its firmware and configuration only via the WAN/Internet port.  The LAN side of the MX64 is what connects towards your home network, the WAN side of the MX64 points towards your Internet access.  So it sounds like you'll connect the Internet port of the MX64 to a LAN port on your FiOS device and the WAN port of the FiOS device to your ONT which sounds like you said is already connected.  I'm assuming you already have a Meraki Dashboard account created and have claimed the MX64 so you can confirm it comes online in the Meraki Dashboard and configure it?  Let us know if you need more info.

Shadius
Building a reputation

Hi @MerakiDave

Thank you for replying. 

So yes, it seems I had the connections correct. The ONT is connected to the WAN port of my Verizon FiOS router and the Cisco Meraki MX64 is connected from it's Internet port to one of the LAN ports on the Verizon FiOS router. I see the solid white light and I'm able to see it on the Meraki Dashboard. 

I'm curious to know what I can do with this MX64. 

Is there any documentation that you can point me to that would help me get started? 

Devices are connected to my home network using Wi-Fi, so I'm wondering if I would be able to see what is connected to the Wi-Fi all from the MX64, or if I would have to use a wired connection from the device to the MX64? 

Thanks for the help! 

Shadius
Building a reputation

@MerakiDave 

If I were to install an MR33, would I connect it to the MX64 or my Verizon Fios router? 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You would connect it to the MX64 and then the clients would also be managed by the MX.  You will need a power supply or PoE injector for the MR33

Shadius
Building a reputation

Ah, so I had it wrong then by connecting it to the Fios router. 😓

Shadius
Building a reputation

Thank you! This fixed everything!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels