MX64 Can use dashboard, but "username" rejected for direct configuration.

SOLVED
Wa1t
Conversationalist

MX64 Can use dashboard, but "username" rejected for direct configuration.

I have been very happy with my MX64W for a good long while.  I am running recent firmware without trouble.  My 'dashboard' all works.  However, if I want to login directly to the device and go to the "Configure" part, I keep getting "incorrect password".

Yes, I know that I am not to put put in the password, but only the "username" which, by default, is the serial number of the box.  Yet, when I do this it is rejected.  Further, I have never changed the username and have had no problems in the past. 

The first thing I tried: I removed all the cables and connected to box directly from my laptop.  Same issue.

Next I did a factory reset, but left the box connected to my network so when it came back on line it would receive all the info (particularly my static assignments - as I have a lot of them).  Still can't login to configure part.

Most recent activity; I turned port 4 into second wan port and added Starlink to that port and used load balancing (works great as I only had adsl before that.

What you may have already figured out, or will soon enough; I'm in over my head.  Yes, I set up my own network, bridged my CenturyLink router, assigned fixed ip addresses to all my stuff, then, years later, added Starlink, and got it all to work, beyond that, I don't know what I'm doing.

One last point; you may be wondering why, if everything is working, am I bothering with trying to get into the direct configure part of the box.  The answer is two fold: 1) what if something goes wrong and I have to.  2) it's bugging the hell out of me and sometimes I get obsessed over stupid stuff.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Go to Network-wide -> General on the Meraki Dashboard. About halfway down you will find the ‘Device Configuration’ section, under that section are the local credentials. The username is ‘admin’ and you can set the password there.

If the device is connecting to the Meraki cloud it will use the username and password configured here. If the device has never connected to the Meraki cloud (or if you do a factory reset and keep is disconnected) then it will use the serial number as the username, with a blank password.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Go to Network-wide -> General on the Meraki Dashboard. About halfway down you will find the ‘Device Configuration’ section, under that section are the local credentials. The username is ‘admin’ and you can set the password there.

If the device is connecting to the Meraki cloud it will use the username and password configured here. If the device has never connected to the Meraki cloud (or if you do a factory reset and keep is disconnected) then it will use the serial number as the username, with a blank password.

Hope this helps.

Wa1t
Conversationalist

Dam it!

I hate when that happens.  I waste hours on something and then find out there is a simple 30 second solution!

On the other hand, there are generous people like you who take the time to guide others out of the wilderness.

Much gratitude.

Walt

ajhe
Conversationalist
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels