MX60s set as passthrough inside MX84s not passing traffic

Bearded_Dozer
Here to help

MX60s set as passthrough inside MX84s not passing traffic

Greetings all,

First let me start with the layout. 17 locations connected via Hub VPN and every site is essentially Modem > MX > Switches > Clients. Working on installing a new phone system that has redundancy however the PBX units can only talk to each other via layer 2.

So as a temporary solution I thought I could use an MX60 in passthrough in each location with a network of 10.1.99.0/29. I've set the static routes on each side so there is bidirectional communication, however I'm still unable to have ICMP packets traverse and be successful.

Is this something the appliances are capable of or am I just going barking mad ?

Thanks for the help in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

IPsec is always L3 afaik. While you can solve subnet conflicts with NAT as described here https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/Using_Site-to-site_VPN_Translation you'd still be doing L3 communication.

To solve your issue you'd need a kind of overlay network on top of IPsec or another technology. But I don't think you'll be able to solve that with Meraki.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki has no technology that allows layer 2 LAN extension across different sites.

I've also never heard of a PBX that only operates at layer 2.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels