MX450 : Do we have option to convert RJ45 port to a WAN port

SOLVED
SobyKuruvilla
Getting noticed

MX450 : Do we have option to convert RJ45 port to a WAN port

Hi All,

I am in a such a scenario and  looking to see if there is an option to convert one of the 8 × GbE (RJ45) ports on MX450 device to a WAN port. Actual requirement is to get 2G uplink speed for the internet  and wanted to see if I can do a port-channel between one of the WAN port ( using 1G fiber SFP ie MA-SFP-1GB-SX module ) and one of 8 × GbE (RJ45) ports to get a total of 2G uplink bandwidth. Currently, i don't have any option procure any further sfp modules.

Welcome to any other ideas as well ( without adding any further SFPs modules 🙂 ) ..

Many Thanks,

Soby

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hey @SobyKuruvilla ,

Unfortunately, you can neither convert a RJ45 port to be used for the WAN, or set up a port-channel as the MX does not support LACP. 

Your only option to get 2Gbps is to use an SFP+ module 😞

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @SobyKuruvilla I'm not sure if you can change one of those ports to a WAN port.  I'll let another comment there.

However, for a Port-channel to work the media types need to be the same.  You can't bundle a fibre port with a copper port.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Thanks for prompt response. We can have port-channel of different media types. I have this scenario in production between Cisco catalyst and WLC with 2x 1G port-channel ( one fiber+one copper). Not sure if it is not possible for Meraki devices.

Thanks Again.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hey @SobyKuruvilla ,

Unfortunately, you can neither convert a RJ45 port to be used for the WAN, or set up a port-channel as the MX does not support LACP. 

Your only option to get 2Gbps is to use an SFP+ module 😞

Thanks your reply.. 😞 

Hi @SobyKuruvilla .  Apologies, my statement was incorrect.  It doesn't matter on the media types but comes down to Speed and duplex.  Doh

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels