MX400 configured with VRRP (warm-spare) Software Panic on MX16 and MX17

Beardwin
Conversationalist

MX400 configured with VRRP (warm-spare) Software Panic on MX16 and MX17

Hi All,

I was speaking to Meraki support and they have advised that if you've configured HA on MX400 whilst on MX16. Then there's a known software panic that they can see in their bug report that causes the MX to reboot at random times (we had it several times during the week).

Upgrading to MX17 will not resolve this issue as it has not been tackled (according to the support engineer). It's a bit of a pain that we need to downgrade when MX17 is out. Has anyone else experienced this issue or similar?

11 REPLIES 11
jphamwd
Here to help

I just subbed a ticket on this, out of nowhere we lost VRRP hearbeats and failed over to the standby.  There is a note in the firmware that the MX400s use 16.16.3 code if you take it up to 17, sounds like there will be another 16 patch.  

Beardwin
Conversationalist

We are downgrading to MX 15 tomorrow as advised by Meraki and after 1/2 weeks of monitoring will let you know.

Sorry for responding to an old thread but was a fix for this issue ever released? I am running a similar setup and we are still on MX15.

My support case is still open, no update since this response back in July:

"The Primary MX rebooted due to an issue that engineering is investigating. I've attached this case to our internal tracking for the issue. It affects firmware 16 and 17. Once there is an update I can report back."

ITADMIN1
Comes here often

Thanks for the response. Looks like they closed my case, I am going to open a new case and ask for an update. 

Henrik_
Here to help

We have a similar issue where our HA (MX84s) fails at random times. We have a case with Meraki but no solution in sight. All our MX84s were scheduled for update to 17.10.4 so we´ll see if that helps or not about a week from now. 

New MX 17.10.4 stable firmware - more performance and reliability fixes th... - The Meraki Community

ITADMIN1
Comes here often

Meraki support recommended upgrading to 17.10.2 so I tried it on one of our HA pairs of MX450's and it had a little hiccup after the upgrade but has been good since, fingers crossed it stays this way. 

Henrik_
Here to help

Meraki support has confirmed that 17.10.4 includes a fix for our problem with sporadic failovers. 

ITADMIN1
Comes here often

Good to know thanks, I'll schedule an upgrade to that firmware version after hours. 

We updated our HA to 17.10.4 yesterday. Everything looks fine so far. Will monitor for a couple of weeks before we can dismiss the problem. 

jphamwd
Here to help

For the MX400|600 support confirmed the VRRP software panic will be a known issue until model end of life as they will not get any firmware above 16

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels