MX250 intervlan traffic

pj4981
Here to help

MX250 intervlan traffic

If i configure a some of the 10GE ports on an MX250 in a single vlan and connect it to a L3 switch to do the routing will the intervaln traffic on the MX250 ports impact firewall performance?  I'm not sure why there are so many 10GE ports on the MX250 is it does impact FW performance.  Thanks,

3 Replies 3
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the traffic traverses the MX to a different VLAN, it will impact the performance as the MX will inspect the traffic. But it depends on the needed throughput f you will notice it. 

jbright
A model citizen

The MX250 tops out at 4GB of total throughput, so even though you are using the 10GE ports on it, you will not get 10GB of throughput. It's recommended to have a Layer 3 switch take care of the inter-VLAN routing and let the MX deal with the routing to and from the internet.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>10GE ports on an MX250 in a single vlan

If they are switched between ports in the same VLAN you won't have any performance impact.  You'll get the full 10Gbe of throughput.

I have a small DC I setup for a customer using a pair of MX250s because it has so many 10Gbe ports.  We dual-connected the servers to each MX250.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels