MX250 Hubs in warm spare mode

SOLVED
IotaNetworks
Here to help

MX250 Hubs in warm spare mode

I am trying to deploy MX250 as hub to support warm spare mode the question is

on M250-1 i have 192.168.13.10 on wan1 interface with 192.168.13.11 as virtual ip

on M250-2 the physical address on wan1 interface should be 192.168.13.10 or 192.168.13.12 with virtual ip being 192.168.13.11 ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Seshu
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@IotaNetworks Primary MX WAN, Spare MX WAN and Virtual IP must be 3 Unique IP addresses. 

VIP is configured on the dashboard for Primary.

On the spare MX, only the WAN IP is configured for Spare MX

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair#WAN_Vir...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Seshu
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@IotaNetworks Primary MX WAN, Spare MX WAN and Virtual IP must be 3 Unique IP addresses. 

VIP is configured on the dashboard for Primary.

On the spare MX, only the WAN IP is configured for Spare MX

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair#WAN_Vir...

Hi,

Can one of you kindly answer my query regarding the MX250 HA setup in "routed-mode"?

We do have a dual hand-off model Internet link with /29 IP subnet for HSRP mode of fail-over from ISP.

We would want to use the WAN ports to participate VRRP heartbeat packets to define the failover since the WAN1 & WAN2 be part of same broadcast domain and moreover ISP routers and MX WAN connections are a local LAN within Data Center.

Is that something possible in MX? If yes, should we proceed to use a VIP in WAN or not?

As a note, we had single LAN connections in each MX LAN ports as a downlink and they are effectively being used for VRRP but when the downlink goes down we end up facing Active/Active role for both MX kits.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels