MX240 TRUE Capacity

Solved
Stans
Comes here often

MX240 TRUE Capacity

I have a Internet access which I want to replace with a Meraki MX250 . The 2 GB link peaks @ ~950 Meg. My count of users is ~ 7000.I will not be using the unit as the firewall.

What is the  real choke point for the machine ?

Through put? or client connections?

I've looked everywhere for the answer, but there seems to be no real world Benchmarks -

I realize the  'recommended' user count is 2000 but that seems extremely conservative.

Before i Get the stock line - use a MX450 - I'd like to hear some other thoughts.

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Stans .

The issue won't be the throughput but the amount of RAM in the MX250.  The MX line of products track a lot of things for reporting back to the dashboard.  I suspect if you had 7,000 active users the unit might run out of RAM and become unstable.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Pretty easy: you won't be able to squeeze out more than mentioned in Meraki's data sheets. User count may be "conservative", but not that conservative.

I'd definitely go wfor the MX450.

Stans
Comes here often

Is the user count concurrent connections or flat out max connections due to table size ?

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Stans : Check this below

Inderdeep_0-1625668219701.png

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Stans : MX250 with the number of 2000 users and Capacity of maximum throughput of 1 Gbps of VPN is on the test environment or may be on EFT ( Early Field Trails). I would recommend you to go with MX450 as per your requirement of 7000 user counts and 2 Gbps of VPN throughput.

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Stans .

The issue won't be the throughput but the amount of RAM in the MX250.  The MX line of products track a lot of things for reporting back to the dashboard.  I suspect if you had 7,000 active users the unit might run out of RAM and become unstable.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels