MX100 not resolving IP address

SOLVED
LionGate
Here to help

MX100 not resolving IP address

I have an MX100 and have set it to track clients by IP address. Some clients are resolving to NetBios names but most are not. How do I get names to properly resolve? Why would some resolve but not others?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It gets clients names by sniffing the network traffic from them as it passes through.  It watches things like DHCP requests and DNS name registration requests.  Sometimes because of what client traffic passes through it this can take a while.

One interesting thing you can do is to track clients by who is logged into them (assuming you are using Active Directory).  Try configuring:

Security Appliance/Active Directory

Once you have done this, on the "Network Wide/Clients" you can now add a column called "User" - which is the AD user logged into that machine.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It gets clients names by sniffing the network traffic from them as it passes through.  It watches things like DHCP requests and DNS name registration requests.  Sometimes because of what client traffic passes through it this can take a while.

One interesting thing you can do is to track clients by who is logged into them (assuming you are using Active Directory).  Try configuring:

Security Appliance/Active Directory

Once you have done this, on the "Network Wide/Clients" you can now add a column called "User" - which is the AD user logged into that machine.

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if it might just be taking time to propagate. I do not yet have a DC thus am not running AD. I think it will make life a lot simpler when I have AD set up...

Tony311
New here

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels