MX slowing down internet speed by 90 %

Solved
braham2019
Here to help

MX slowing down internet speed by 90 %

Hi,

Recently I found that 'local' internet access is rather slow. When I run various speed tests (wireless or wired), it gives very bad results.

This is my (simple home) setup:

ISP = MX64 == Switch 1 == Switch 2

/               /                 /.      /

AP1           AP2          AP3   AP4

I have an MX64 with direct WAN connection as firewall, and then two Cisco switches as LAN switches. There's a Gbit uplink from switch 1 to MX via "Trunk port". The second switch is uplinked to switch 1 via Etherchannel (2x Gbit). All cabling is CAT5e. All MR are visible on the switches with Gbit speed.

I have MR33, MR18 and MR76 access points. They all run the latest firmware for the specific model.

I did some speed tests:

- directly plugged into the ISP modem: 295 Mbps (maximum configured in modem is 300 Mbps)

- from a computer located in switch 2 to a computer in switch 1, I get Gbit speed (940/975 Mbps)

- from a wireless client connected to AP4 or AP1 to the internet: 40 Mbps

- from a computer located in switch 1, switch 2 or the MX to the internet: 30 Mbps

When I run a Dashboard Throughput test from any MR, I get 15 Mbps. When I run the same test from the MX, I get 260 or 280 Mbps.

It seems to me the MX is slowing down internet traffic seriously. I didn't have this before (say last week) and I wonder it this is due to a recent update ? I am running the beta version MX 18.103 at the moment.

Any thoughts ?

Does it make sense to revert to (older) stable firmware ?

1 Accepted Solution
braham2019
Here to help

I guess I solved my own problem. I changed firmware from beta to stable RC MX 17.10.2 and the issue is gone.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
braham2019
Here to help

I guess I solved my own problem. I changed firmware from beta to stable RC MX 17.10.2 and the issue is gone.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Awesome thanks for sharing, I was going to suggest traffic shaping. The MR18 is very old so you might want to think about replacing that at some stage. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels