MX and LAG ?

SOLVED
LUX-Merakifyer
Here to help

MX and LAG ?

Hi all. does somebody know if now with the new nice MX250&450 thanks to the large number of ports, is it finally possible to have LAG trunks coming from floor switches via SFP fiber links? I remember on MX100 I could not and I thought this a bad limitation. today with MX250 and its 8SFP + 8 SFP+ ports, it could be very useful being able to agreggate just pairs of ports for uplinks to switches. If still not possible, please MERAKI do consider this as "Make a wish". avoiding MS400 between floor switches and MX, do permit to become more competitive and more direct in design topology... Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MyHomeNWLab
A model citizen

I will share the latest info.

The documentation now clearly states that LACP and Link Aggregation are not supported on Meraki MX.

MX Layer 2 Functionality - Cisco Meraki
https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/MX_Layer_2_Functionality

> LACP & Link Aggregation
> The MX does not run LACP or any link aggregation protocols. Connecting aggregated ports to the LAN of the MX is not supported; all connected ports should be un-aggregated. If multiple ports are connected to the MX from a single switch for redundancy, it is highly recommended that you run STP on that switch, to ensure that one of the redundant ports is safely put into a blocking state.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't believe that they have this capability.

MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Again as per @PhilipDAth's reply. I don't think this feature is available currently. Make a wish (assume you already have). Reach out to your Meraki Sales rep to get some inside scoop on the MX roadmap for this feature/capability.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Plus spanning tree support.

MyHomeNWLab
A model citizen

I will share the latest info.

The documentation now clearly states that LACP and Link Aggregation are not supported on Meraki MX.

MX Layer 2 Functionality - Cisco Meraki
https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/MX_Layer_2_Functionality

> LACP & Link Aggregation
> The MX does not run LACP or any link aggregation protocols. Connecting aggregated ports to the LAN of the MX is not supported; all connected ports should be un-aggregated. If multiple ports are connected to the MX from a single switch for redundancy, it is highly recommended that you run STP on that switch, to ensure that one of the redundant ports is safely put into a blocking state.

Its not supported, however, we have aggregated ports from multiple switches/ports (physical switch stack) and it seems to work (in production enviornment), we have been using this configuration for almost a year without issue. The switchs (stacked) will use spanning tree to block one of the aggregated ports. We have tested by unplugging one of the aggregate ports from the switch side, traffic flows across the 2nd aggregated switch port almost instantaneously. I'm not suggested you try it but just replying with my experience. 

you are right Sarv. I did also proceed like this, except not configuring LAG and just letting SPT makes the job to shutdown one port. it works then as a simple official network link for VLANs.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels