MX and Cisco ATA

SOLVED
CashG
Getting noticed

MX and Cisco ATA

Don't know if someone can help me with this or not. At our main site we use a MX84 and our other locations use the MX64 and DHCP is turned on all locations. We are switching over our phones to RingCentral VoIP phones. We are using a Cisco ATA192 at some locations. Locations with the MX64 work fine with the ATA192 and they automatically aquire a IP and connect fine. For some reason the ATA192 here where the MX84 is they will not aquire an IP. I've even tried putting in a static IP and it still won't connect. DHCP is working because if I plug a new Cisco CP8851 phone in it will get an IP and connect. Any idea why just the ATA192 won't work? Also I've tried 6 of them and none of them will connect and took one of them to another location where the MX64 is and it worked there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CashG
Getting noticed

I finally found a download for the ATA firmware and was able to install it and now it works. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you already checked if the trunk to the switch port where the ATA is allowing the VLAN that you configured the DHCP?

Start with the basics by reviewing the settings.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Yes. Everything is configured to automatically connect. I don't understand why the Cisco CP8851 will automatically obtain an IP from the MX84 but the Cisco ATA192 will not. I've loggen into the ATA192 and it is set to obtain an IP from DHCP. Also doesn't make sense why even putting a Static IP in it will not work. 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You're probably forgetting something, it seems very much a layer 2 problem.

Have you tried connecting the ATA directly to the MX on a port  in access mode on the target VLAN?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

CashG
Getting noticed

I just thought of something. The ATA192 does run DCHP on it for computers connected to it. There is a Network and Ethernet port. Do you think the MX84 is blocking it because it is trying to run DHCP on it? Although I dont know if it only does it for devices plugged into the Ethernet side and wouldn't affect it being plugged into the Network side.

CashG
Getting noticed

None of this makes sense to me. I put a static IP on the ATA again so it shows up in the clients list on Meraki. If I go to the event log for it I see lots of 

DHCP DHCP problem extra: no_offers_received, vap: 0, vlan: 0

Then I tried doing a packet capture on it for 60 seconds and there was not a single thing in it. Its like its not trying to do anything. I've done it twice now even when rebooting it.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you using a specific VLAN for this network the ATA must connect to? If so, from the error message it's clearly a L2 (VLAN) problem, you're forgetting to allow that VLAN somewhere.

No there is no VLAN set up its just a single single LAN

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Maybe try upgrading the MX84 firmware. I see you're on 18.106. In 18.107 there was this fix 

"Fixed an issue that could result in DHCP leases not being provided by MX84 or MX100 appliances after upgrading to MX 18.1.05 or MX 18.1.06."

And all your other MXs appear to be on other/older firmware versions than your MX84.

I schedualed the update later tonight. Hopefully that will fix the issue. 

Updated last night and still same issue.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are the ATA's previously configured from another network setup or are they brand new? If they aren't brand new I'd start with a factory reset.

Does your DHCP server on the MX84 have any options enabled 

They are pre configured from RingCentral. 

CashG
Getting noticed

I finally found a download for the ATA firmware and was able to install it and now it works. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels