MX - ability to remotely disable Internet port via Local Configuration page or API call

Darrell
Just browsing

MX - ability to remotely disable Internet port via Local Configuration page or API call

Whether it be via API or directly via the Local Configuration's Ethernet page, I need the ability to remotely disable the Internet port.  The smart failover feature is not responding quickly enough, if ever, and during an ISP peering issue, the link, as far as the Meraki appliance is concerned, is still "up".

In short, how do I enable the ability to remotely disable the Internet port without inserting additional equipment or complexity?

4 REPLIES 4
Adam
Kind of a big deal

The only options I'm seeing from both the dashboard and the local config page is to change the port between DHCP and static.  Could you just change the primary uplink on Security Appliance>Traffic Shaping and the 'Primary uplink' option? 

There doesn't appear to be a way to disable the port.  I suppose you could just change the static IP or gateway to break one of the WANs if you had to but that isn't a particularly elegant solution. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

They may not work @Adam.  If you change an uplink ports configuration, and the MX can not connected to the cloud, it automatically rolls the change back (to prevent you cutting the MX off and making it unmanageable).

Adam
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth wrote:

They may not work @Adam.  If you change an uplink ports configuration, and the MX can not connected to the cloud, it automatically rolls the change back (to prevent you cutting the MX off and making it unmanageable).

Agreed, based on his failover comment I'm assuming he has redundant connections since he was otherwise wanting to just disable one of the interfaces. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Darrell
Just browsing

Apparently the only method of disabling the Internet port "remotely" is to call the location or send a tech out to unplug the connection.

Not only would I like this functionality available, I would also like to override the "friendly" configuration such that the MX uses the configuration I set, not whatever method it can use to get to the Internet.  If our broadband modems stop working because someone set them for an RFC1918 DHCP-enabled space, I want the link to be down and not looking to see what works and using it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels