MX Route Limit

Choppy148
Here to help

MX Route Limit

Hey Community,

We have a situation where we may have to add an extensive list of static routes. I won't go in to the details on why however it does raise the question "How many routes will a Meraki MX appliance support?". For the life of me I cannot find any route limits documented anywhere. 

Does anyone have any resourcing stating what the route limits will be for the MX84 and MX100 appliances?

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd guess this is documented somewhere Meraki-internally. You could get in touch with support, or perhaps @ConnorL can help out.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suspect the limit will be the point where you find you can't manage it in the GUI because it is too slow and cumbersome, as opposed to an actual route limit on the MX.

I would be tempted to add them via a script.

Thanks Phillip,

The scripting idea is a must in this case. 

mikebutash
New here

Oddly I found this after engaging with a new client that is running into major issues with route limitations in the mx platforms trying to do my own research on this. They have over a thousand retail locations (and growing), and found pretty quickly with some 15 subnets/routes per location, things started blowing up at a certain number of deployed sites. It apparently took a coming to jesus meeting with Cisco to get them to admit to route limits in the platform, some 12000 prefix limit it seems, and as you said isn't documented anywhere I can find either. Now they're having to introduce summarization, which as an old organization wasn't always built with such in mind, and proving a challenge NOT to blackhole traffic when doing so. Customer is not at all happy, bringing in consulting (ie. me) to see what can be done, outside gutting them. I'm trying to see if this is a global platform limit across hardware, or whatever SE/Var spec'd the hardware just totally screwed up in not knowing this going too small of boxes. I would have some conversation with your AM/SE about this, seems I'll be having some with theirs.

Hi Mike

I know its a long time since your original post but I'm interested to know where you ended up with this.
Is it the same prefix limit across all models and how dis you get the right result for the customer?

Thanks

Rick

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels