MX Offline Expected Behaviour - L3 service availbaility

AndP_net
Conversationalist

MX Offline Expected Behaviour - L3 service availbaility

Hello everyone,

I would like to understand the behavior of an MX67-68 in case of connectivity loss to the Meraki cloud. From the KB article here, it states that after 8 hours, the MX will reboot to attempt reconnecting to the cloud. However, I would like clarification on the following points:

1. During the first 8 hours, are all LAN services provided without interruption? Specifically, are L3 interfaces reachable, and does DHCP continue to function?

2. After these 8 hours, I expect a reboot of approximately 2-3 minutes. Once it reboots, do all LAN services—interfaces and DHCP—continue to operate without any discontinuity?

3. If connectivity is still not restored after another 8 hours, does this reboot process repeat without interruption to LAN services?

I have a full-stack Meraki infrastructure across multiple locations, and since the MX is my core L3 device, also providing DHCP, it's crucial that in the event of a WAN fault, it can still manage local traffic properly on the LAN side. Unfortunately, I haven’t yet been able to replicate this scenario in the lab.

Thank you!

1 Reply 1
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@AndP_net I would expect 1 and 2 to be true and 3 will have the same 2-3 minute interruption as 2.

I had my home's WAN link go down for a few weeks and the LAN did work, though most modern devices rejected it as they also look for the internet!  I could still print though from a wired PC to a wireless printer.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels