MX Max Throughput... is that with Adv Security or Secure SD-Wan Plus?

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

MX Max Throughput... is that with Adv Security or Secure SD-Wan Plus?

Hello!

I have a MX68 and currently get 250/250 fiber. I can upgrade to 400/400 fiber for $49 more. I know, a no brainer. But I am wondering how big an increase it will be. I use an Advanced Security license for my MX, and according to this doc:

https://meraki.cisco.com/product-collateral/mx-sizing-guide/?file

The throughput with "all security features enabled" is 300mbit. Fine. But there is one more tier up in security features with SD-Wan Secure Plus. So is that what 300mbit refers to? What would Adv Security be in that case? If a normal enterprise license is 600, does that mean Adv Security might fall in the middle and I might get the 400/400? 

thanks in advance team!

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You will be likely to flat0line a 400Mb/s circuit.

Make sure that under Security & SDWAN, SDWAN and Traffic Shapping, you have the WAN ports set to the maximum speed.

PhilipDAth_0-1657485987142.png

Got it. I thought that dial helped somehow if you do dual WAN? I don’t do dual WAN but if I did I’d want it to be reliable… you’re saying anything but max is unreliable? Why not just set the WAN Uplink speed to a notch higher than your theoretical?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.

It doesn't affect reliability.  What it will do is limit the performance to whatever is configured.  If that is less than your circuit - you'll never be able to max out your circuit.

Gotcha; thanks as always 

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The doc says the test tesults are from fw 14.39 .(which does not really makes sense because newer models never worked on that firmware)

Speed can be different depending on the fw. I got very good result on 16.x and very bad on 17.x.  If possible, connect a client on the wan side and test with iperf3 between lan and wan client

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels