MX Low Latency Queue

jordeliason
Just browsing

MX Low Latency Queue

We are migrating some locations over from Cisco ISR routers to Meraki MX.

The QoS design needs support for a low latency queue and being able to have the VoIP DSCP copied to the outside of the VPN packets after they leave the MX towards the remote site.

Is this something that can be done today or is road mapped?

Thanks in advance Jordan

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This can be done today.

Here is some info about QoS over VPN:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/QoS_over_a_Site-to-site_VPN

For priority queuing look at this:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Traffic_Shaping_Settings

and jump down to "Rule Actions".

Hello,

Appreciate your response. I had a look at both of the URLs above.

This isn't what I am looking for.

URL 1 - QoS with VPN Tunnel

This talks about QoS DSCP on the LAN side of the VPN tunnel and re-adding as it it is decapsulated on the far LAN side.

What we need is QoS on the outside of the Encapsulated VPN packets so that internet and upstream equipment honors the QoS we specify on the traffic type before it is encrypted. This is a standard Cisco IOS Router feature.

URL 2 - Priority Queuing

This was a good read about traffic shaping. What we are actually looking for is a Class Based Low Latency Queue that matches DSCP values so that in all cases it is prioritized. This will benefit us so that no matter how the WAN speeds are configured or traffic shaping is configured there will be guaranteed priority.

Hopefully there is some more info out there on the options coming down the pipe. Thanks!

You are trying to apply a strick IOS concept to Meraki.  I'm telling you the equivalent method in Meraki.

Meraki has three queues, low, medium and high.  You use traffic shapping rules to put traffic into one of these three queues.  The queues are served in the ratio in the document link I supplied.  You can not configure the queues in any way.

This is your only option.

Hi,

I´m currently also dealing with this topic and, for the sake of completeness, would just like to give a short update in this thread!

Finally, in addition to the above configurable priorities, there is an additional low-latency queue priority which is not user configurable.  This queue has a greater priority than all other queues and as such is serviced before all other queues.  Only packets with a DSCP value of 46 (EF - Expedited Forwarding, Voice) are placed into this queue.  This feature is available and enabled on all MX14+ networks.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Using_Packet_Prioritization_on_a_Tr...

The only question for me is regarding the red marked part does anyone know how large this queue is or if/what parameter is used for policing that traffic?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels