MX - BGP updates from 'weird' RID

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MX - BGP updates from 'weird' RID

Hi ,

We are running BGP on our spoke/hub.  

When looking at the route table the nexthop ( which is the HUB ) is identified with a weird RID ( always starting by 6.X.X.X )

RaphaelL_0-1668543555399.png

When taking a packet capture you can clearly see the HUB sourcing these packets :

RaphaelL_1-1668543620576.png

PS : Both screenshots were taken on different hub/spoke , the 6.X.X.X is not a match. 

Why ?

This is super confusing.

5 REPLIES 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Strange, have you asked Meraki support?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Yes. I was curious if anyone has experienced that or has any idea about it.

Happens on any version ( 15.44 , 16.16 , 16.16.16 , 17.10.2 and so on )

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As far as i can tell meraki uses 6.0.0.0/8 for things like management tunnel and maybe autovpn tunnel id. But also ibgp.

It would be better to use or add the hub name in the gui

I have also seen syslog(from one armed concentrator) coming from this address through autovpn.

Did also read about a mv using this address range so i guess every meraki device has one

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Kinda weird since they don't own 6.0.0.0/8. I know it's only used for services that you described but still

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ww is right.  You also see this address range used when an AutoVPN spoke does not have it's LAN subnet included in the VPN and accesses another site's LAN (which is included in AutoVPN).  The traffic from the source site gets NAted into the 6.x.x.x range (ps. you can use this trick to support spokes using the same LAN subnet range).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels