MX 450 Number of WAN Links

ashley_dewoo
New here

MX 450 Number of WAN Links

Hi,

I am planning to implement  Meraki SDWAN with the MX 450. between 3 sites.

We have two DC sites are interconnected by 2 WAN links namely a Layer 2 Fiber link and an Internet Link.

Each site has also an MPLS link  which makes means that there is a third WAN link.

Is there is a limitation of number of WAN links from the Meraki device ?

From the configuratio  guide, I can see only 2 WAN interfaces available.

Second question concerns the WAN link monitoring, I can see that the meraki runs a series of tests ping google etc.

Can a custom test for WAN monitor be configured specially for MPLS links where specific IP are required to detect failure.

Thanks for you help.

5 REPLIES 5
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Pretty sure there are only 2 WAN links regardless of model
You can add a custom 'ping' under SD-WAN & Traffic Shaping, and I believe this would work for your MPLS as I've pointed mine to an internal IP before to test something.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring wrote:
Pretty sure there are only 2 WAN links regardless of model

Yup.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@ashley_dewoo wrote:

Hi,

I am planning to implement  Meraki SDWAN with the MX 450. between 3 sites.

We have two DC sites are interconnected by 2 WAN links namely a Layer 2 Fiber link and an Internet Link.

Each site has also an MPLS link  which makes means that there is a third WAN link.

You need to be careful here. MX WAN ports require Internet connectivity to function. If you put to MX WAN ports back-to-back over an L2 service like this they won't function properly. Meraki has this for their recommended design when using AutoVPN (which you need fotr SD-WAN) over MPLS.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/Configuring_Site-to-site_VPN_over_MPLS

@ashley_dewoo wrote:

Can a custom test for WAN monitor be configured specially for MPLS links where specific IP are required to detect failure.

No. This is partly why the above stuff about requiring Internet is a factor. If your MPLS causes those tests to fail then the WAN port will not forward traffic. You'd have to leak a route to the Internet into your MPLS to make this work the way you are thinking. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We use MXs with a L2 VPLS  and a L3 MPLS neither of which have internet access.

At the main DC the WAN links terminate of a L3 switch stack and the DC MX pair are set up as concentrators on the DC LAN.  The DC default gateway is the internet so every MX in our SD-WAN shows as the same public IP and therefore it all works.

I can draw a diagram if that is as clear as a politician's promise...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you want route tracking (aka, a route only exists via a VLAN interface while a ping responds) follow this guide:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/MX_Routing_Behavior#Static_Route_Tracking 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels