Load balancing mx100

NJacobe
Getting noticed

Load balancing mx100

Hi All

So this is going to be a basic question but more to confirm my thoughts. 

If we run a second ISP line to WAN 2 and load balance will we be able to utilize the full 2GB? I know that a speed test will not show it but want to insure we get the full download when we hit heavy downloads. 

Thanks! 

9 REPLIES 9
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

No. The MX100 is not physically capable of 2gbps. Refer to the MX sizing guide if you're spec'ing for a 2Gbps aggregate service (Hint: MX250 or MX450).

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_whitepaper_mx_sizing_guide.pdf

Nick
Head in the Cloud

Hi @NJacobe

Your premise is correct - you would be able to balance and utilise the bandwidth across both lines. 

However as @jdsilva pointed out, you will be prevented by the throughput available on the MX100 of approx 650 - 750 Mbps depending on your configuration. 

Its worth noting you have a few options with the load balancing, you can use both lines together or you can use one as a failover, which may be more suitable given the hardware you have.

To ensure balancing and failover work correctly its important to set the line speeds in SD-WAN & Traffic Shaping. Below is a shot from an MX100 configured with two lines.

Some good pointers here in the Load Balancing & Traffic Shaping documentation

Cheers

Nick

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 12.52.06.png

NJacobe
Getting noticed

Thanks for the response.

That’s kinda what I figured. The plan is to upgrade to a 250 to be able to better utilize the 2GB speed.

With the current configuration we get 900 or so throughput so as long as it can balance between the two we should be great.

Thanks!!!
Nick
Head in the Cloud

You're welcome
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@NJacobe wrote:

With the current configuration we get 900 or so throughput so as long as it can balance between the two we should be great.

We've also seen the MX100 perform quite a bit above its published numbers. Good to know others see the same.

Nick
Head in the Cloud

@jdsilva 

Its weird and i've been wondering about this. The MX 64 et all are software limited along with the Z3 it seems. The Z1 and MX100 seem to outperform.

Does your experience mirror mine?

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

We don't use the Z1/3 so I can't comment there. For the most part the MX models fall in line with Meraki's numbers, but the MX100 punches above its weight quite a bit. 

So I have seen excellent results with the 100. From what I have heard from others as well the MX line seems to be well above the expectations set in the white papers. Maybe Meraki is being super conservative on numbers. I just know it's been well above expectations. 

imac101
New here

HI, we would like to load balance/failover using 2 x MX100's via two separate ISP's. Is this possible ??

I have used Radware load balances in the distant dark ages and this was one of their key functions. I am hoping the MX can do the same by using a virtual IP shared across both units with intelligence to perform load balancing via the separate ISP's.

Cheers

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels