Lifetime warranty after EoS/EoST

SOLVED
Kevin_Cookson
Conversationalist

Lifetime warranty after EoS/EoST

Hey guys,

i'm trying to figure something out and hope to get some help here. (I'm more than certain, that someone will be able to help (x )

Let's say i have a MX64 - it works a charm and everything is fine. The device has a running subscription. 

Now EoS is coming up - but no worries, Support is running 7 years after EoS.

What happens after the prolonged Support period of 7 years runs out - but i'm still using that certain device?

Will it:

- Keep on running, but without latest Updates? (Which wouldn't be so great, given the security features that are used.)

- Stop running?

I heard, that if the device breaks and i give it to warranty and there is a new version of that certain device, i will get the new one.

If the support runs out, the device will not work as intended - but i will only get a replacement, if the old MX64 breaks.

Am i on the right track there?

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Kevin_Cookson wrote:

Isn't it possible that the customer buys a MX now and orders a 10 year license with it - EoS is declared tomorrow, so there will be Support till EoST?

I'm wondering about the time from "Officially EoST" to "License runs out" - which "theoretically" could have 2 different dates?

Whats inbetween that time?

My understanding is this. Usually best case scenario its a 3 year period or less. In that 3 year period you are entitled to your lifetime warranty, the device will most likely be updated to the next model up or what is available that is similar. After the 3 year period is up you are out of luck. The idea of running a device especially an MX for 10 years seems a bit unrealistic. Chances are threats and threat management will change drastically in 10 years, where you won't want a similar model. I would say a 5-7 year refresh on this is the best bet. So the idea that in theory you could have closer to a 15 year old device is way beyond normal refresh cycles.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I believe a while before the EOL comes, the licenses will stop being orderable. So I'd expect the subscription to run out before the EOL.

hoempf
Getting noticed

There's an EoS (End of Sale) and EoL (End of Life) date.
Usually for EoS devices you can order renewal licenses for a while, I *think* until the device is EoL.

For example we have customers using MX60 and bought a 3y license back then. Now, 3y after that, they can renew (you can still order the licenses for those old devices) or upgrade to a new MX (+new license), depending on access speed and other circumstances it might be better to upgrade. The point is, license renewals can be ordered for quite a while, even when the underlying device is EoS.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

This should give you a good idea of how it works.

https://meraki.cisco.com/support/#policies:eol

I usually say order the license right before the EOS date and get one that is long enough to last to EOST date. When EOST date comes you may need an upgrade in hardware anyways

And to answer your other question. As long as the subscription is there and the product is covered under lifetime warranty, you'll get a replacement. If the hardware is no longer available you will get a functionally equivalent product.

Isn't it possible that the customer buys a MX now and orders a 10 year license with it - EoS is declared tomorrow, so there will be Support till EoST?

I'm wondering about the time from "Officially EoST" to "License runs out" - which "theoretically" could have 2 different dates?

Tbh, I'd never buy 10 year licenses. I'd stick to 3 or 5. But realistically, the device will continue working in that period. And even though support has stopped, I imagine, because the subscription is still there, you'll still be covered under lifetime warranty. See this line in the policy:

"If either of the first two situations above occurs, then we will use our best efforts to provide the customer with a workable solution for upgrading from the legacy hardware and, failing that, will credit the value of any remaining license time attributable to the legacy hardware to the customer’s Dashboard organization on a prorated basis."

@Kevin_Cookson wrote:

My understanding is this. Usually best case scenario its a 3 year period or less. In that 3 year period you are entitled to your lifetime warranty, the device will most likely be updated to the next model up or what is available that is similar. After the 3 year period is up you are out of luck. The idea of running a device especially an MX for 10 years seems a bit unrealistic. Chances are threats and threat management will change drastically in 10 years, where you won't want a similar model. I would say a 5-7 year refresh on this is the best bet. So the idea that in theory you could have closer to a 15 year old device is way beyond normal refresh cycles.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels