Issue trying to set up remote access to Pen Test device

PJB
Here to help

Issue trying to set up remote access to Pen Test device

Hi all,

I have a Raspberry Pi connected to a MS switch in its own Vlan and for the some reason I cannot connect or even ping the device remotely. I have set up 1to 1 Nat from my Public IP but still no joy. Any help much appreciated

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have any firewall rules configured that could be blocking access?
Is the MX's public IP configured directly on the MX's WAN? Is this IP behind a CGNAT?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Hi no I dont see any rules blocking, very simple set up;

PJB_0-1708027280590.png

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the device is open using port forwarding be aware this isn't secure, using a VPN would be a better approach. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you trying to ping your device from inside or outside of your network?

Does the Raspberry Pi have a firewall on it, and if so, is ping allowed?

I am trying to ping from outside my network. Ping is allowed and there i no FW on the Pi

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ping will not work in 1:1 NAT, only access to the specific port that you have allowed will work.

My advice is not to open this communication to the internet but to set up a Site to Site VPN which is more secure.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Ok many thanks. Setting up Site to Site VPN is easy enough to a non Meraki Device?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes,

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/Site-to-Site_VPN_Settings#Non-Meraki_VPN_Peers

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels