Internet Traffic Limit per VLAN?

Elembemedia
New here

Internet Traffic Limit per VLAN?

Is there a way to setup VLAN's to each have their own bandwidth limit for internet access? I want to be able to section off our internet capacity by VLAN but leave their internal speed limit uncapped. Is that possible? And if so, how?

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can create group policies and apply them directly on the VLAN interface.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Creating_and_Applying...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Elembemedia
New here

Does that apply the policy to each device?

What I am looking for is not a per device limit, but a limit on the whole VLAN. that way if there is only 1 client it can have the whole thing, or if there are 100 devices, then they can share.

Nope, you can apply it by VLAN. 

alemabrahao_0-1677344073178.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The limit is for each device in that vlan.

There is no limit per vlan

Global Bandwidth Limit Consideration

Traffic shaping rules can be useful in limiting the amount of bandwidth that various applications and traffic types consume.  Global limits can also be used to enforce bandwidth limits on a per device basis.  A global bandwidth limit applies not only to outbound traffic, but all routed traffic on an MX security appliance or MR access point unless overridden by other configuration settings.  This knowledge base article will describe certain considerations that should be taken into account when configuring the global bandwidth limit and how to use traffic shaping rules to override the global bandwidth limit when necessary.  

Full doc: https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Global_Bandwidth_Limi....

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just seconding @ww 

When applied to a vlan, the group policy is applied to each device within that vlan. Therefore the limit would be per device.

I'm not aware of any way to limit across the vlan as a whole.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels