In Meraki Z1 & Z3 which LAN port works as secondary WAN port

SOLVED
Rao_Salim_Ullah
Conversationalist

In Meraki Z1 & Z3 which LAN port works as secondary WAN port

Hi

Which LAN can we use as secondary WAN in Meraki Z1 or Z3 and how? As i have 2 internet up-links and i want when my primary uplink gets down than my secondary uplink starts working automatically. Please expedite support! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've just done a quick check on our devices. On the Z1, there is no secondary port you can setup as a secondary WAN port.

Z1 Config page.PNG

However, on the Z3, you can configure Port 2 as a secondary WAN.

Z3 Config.PNG

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
mmmmmmark
Building a reputation

Sorry but there is no dual WAN functionality in either the Z1 or the Z3. They're teleworker devices so not really designed with that kind of functionality in mind. I know the MX60, MX64, MX65 and MX84 all do dual WAN and of course the bigger devices for sure.

Edit: But the Z1 and Z3 do support 3G/4G failover via USB modem

Thank You for your kind reply but i also received following reply from one of the Technical Support member of CISCO Meraki:

Hi,

I believe you would use LAN port 4, but the configuration is exactly the same. You'll need to connect to the local configuration page of the Z1 and change one of the ports to Internet/WAN instead of LAN. Please take a look at that piece of documentation I sent you.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MX_Load_Balancing_and_Flow_Prefer...

Kind regards,

James Earl

Cisco Meraki Technical Support

i have thoroughly studied the provided link but did not find any clear info as per claim of technical support member.

I think @mmmmmmark is correct.  The key bit from that page is:

"On all other MX models, a LAN port can be repurposed into an Internet port for use as WAN 2."

You don't have an MX - you have a Z.

I've just done a quick check on our devices. On the Z1, there is no secondary port you can setup as a secondary WAN port.

Z1 Config page.PNG

However, on the Z3, you can configure Port 2 as a secondary WAN.

Z3 Config.PNG

mmmmmmark
Building a reputation

Thanks for checking @Mr_IT_Guy That's very good to know!

Thank You Dear Mr_IT_Guy and to all others who has attended my inquiry and tried to solve it.

Hi,

Have you test this configuration?

The Z3 brochure and the meraki support tell that the Z3 not have the secondary wan.

Thank

Regards

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

I can post screenshots tonight.

I started to post a screen shot and then saw you had posted already . . . duh
Who is the guy on the left?
Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Hi guys,

I was checking my Wan connectivity on my Z1 and I also noted the Lan4 port setup :

z1_lan4

Not sure how does it behaves, but it's something we've being ask a lot!

Hi,
I am trying to accomplish this right now with a Z3.

However on the local status page I can't seem to find the option anymore.

We're trying to expand our Z3's with an MG as well on a second WAN port. I vaguely remember that I was able to toggle this a couple of months ago on a Z3 but when I tried to do it today, pooof gone.

Did they suddenly decide that this option was too good for their Z3's? Forcing to go with an MX68 or something alike?

They also made a note in their documentation of the Z3, explicitly stating that no second port can be toggled for a WAN port. Which also suggests that is was something that used to be possible.

Cheers.

Schermafbeelding 2020-10-14 om 12.47.08.png

TheUnF
Getting noticed

Yep, seems it's gone baby.

What firmware are you currently on?

Hi,

Current version of the Z3: MX 15.36

Very disappointing. 

We were thinking of using the MG as a backup on port 2 on +60 sites, guess that won't be happening anytime soon. 

Our Z3's finally stopped randomly breaking down, now this... 

Hi,

I started a case with Cisco Meraki about this disappearance. I asked them if this feature was omitted with a firmware.

The support agent told me:

"No, not that I can tell. The feature is completely stripped away"

Cisco, Never fails to amaz... disappoint you!

Stephan_W
Conversationalist

Correct, use to do this before MX15 firmware and above. They appear to have removed a basic SD-WAN feature as there obviously wasn't a device/hardware limitation. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels