How we route internet and MPLS on the same port?

SOLVED
Senan_Rogers
Getting noticed

How we route internet and MPLS on the same port?

Hello Gents, 

I have an MX  and i am looking to find a way on  How we route internet and MPLS on the same port? 

I think by using port 4 on Mx or adding a default route on Mx. 

Port 4  is a Lan port. I meant any port in the MX  which is not WAN 1 or wan2.

Is this possible? any idea, please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Lard
Conversationalist

Short answer no - this is where we get to see the gaps appearing between a router platform and a firewall with routing functions...

Would need a router in front of the MX - to be fair, when multi-VRF is required by customers for MPLS networks it's typically a managed service from the provider, with CPE (typically Cisco ISR) - you could ask for multiple services to be seperated on a provider NTE and presented on separate ports to the MX?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not completely sure what you are trying to achieve.  Are you wanting to give the MPLS circuit Internet access? 

If you have two circuits, such as MPLS and Internet, you would normally plug them into separate WAN ports.

Here are some other topologies which might match what you want to do:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Networks_and_Routing/Integrating_an_MPLS_Connection_on_the_MX_...

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Deployment_Guides/MPLS_Failover_to_Meraki_Auto_VPN

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Site-to-site_VPN/Configuring_Site-to-site_VPN_over_MPLS

Thank you for your reply , 

I am looking to have VRF configuration in Meraki when I am creating a vrf, it tells us what routes to import/export. Then assign that vrf to an interface. Once the vrf is attached to an interface, the switch/router creates a separate routing table to hold those routes.

Can we do this in Merak ?

Cisco Meraki equipment does not support VRFs (and probably never will).

Lard
Conversationalist

Short answer no - this is where we get to see the gaps appearing between a router platform and a firewall with routing functions...

Would need a router in front of the MX - to be fair, when multi-VRF is required by customers for MPLS networks it's typically a managed service from the provider, with CPE (typically Cisco ISR) - you could ask for multiple services to be seperated on a provider NTE and presented on separate ports to the MX?

Hello Lard,

Thank you for your answer, Yes indeed, this is exactly how i solve the issues. I put a Cisco ISR in front of the Meraki MX and do the VRF in that cisco route, connect static route with MX from the ISR . But ISCR is the front connection.

hi,

but this would'nt work when using auto-vpn, or I'm wrong?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels