How to dictate Network Name

SOLVED
TimBisel
Getting noticed

How to dictate Network Name

So how templates are set up in the dashboard doesn't fit want I want to do with them. So instead I have a "-Template" Network with basic settings I want assigned to all new networks and I customize and build from there. The downside is even thou I believe I removed all signed of the "Template" name, it is still showing as the network name in Windows and I can not seem to find out where in Meraki it is getting that name from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Indeed, I went ahead and tested it for you.

I disabled my wired ethernet adapter (which in Windows had received the name of my SSID).

I searched my registry for all instances of that name. Found one:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\{some_id_string_generated_by_windows}]

Removed the whole key.

Enabled the wired ethernet adapter again.

Network is now simply called "Network".

Then I connected the PC to my SSID again and the name changed again to the original name.

So just connecting to an SSID with the non-template name will probably be enough to overwrite the name (assuming the MAC-address of the DHCP server is identical of course).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

It may be cached somewhere from when the SSID still contained that in its name. The MAC-address of the router hasn't changed so even if you're connected to the wired network it detects that the MAC-address of the default gateway is the same and it uses the SSID as the network name.

Check out this post:

https://superuser.com/questions/1316481/how-does-windows-decide-the-name-of-ethernet-lan

That is definitely eye opening. I will need to take a better look but I think this may be the problem. So in theory this should only effect my PC that I used for connectivity and functionality testing but once equipment is deployed all new computers should see the new/current network name? 

Indeed, I went ahead and tested it for you.

I disabled my wired ethernet adapter (which in Windows had received the name of my SSID).

I searched my registry for all instances of that name. Found one:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\{some_id_string_generated_by_windows}]

Removed the whole key.

Enabled the wired ethernet adapter again.

Network is now simply called "Network".

Then I connected the PC to my SSID again and the name changed again to the original name.

So just connecting to an SSID with the non-template name will probably be enough to overwrite the name (assuming the MAC-address of the DHCP server is identical of course).

Thanks for the help. Because of how I have been deploying some of these networks, mine and my Systems Admin's computers where showing "Template" for a lot of locations, looked like amateur hour and at least now I know it only looks that way for us.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels