How to block TikTok in 2022

SOLVED
JozefH
Here to help

How to block TikTok in 2022

Hey there,

I went through some old posts and I still haven't found an easy way how to block TikTok. Not with BrightCloud, nor with the new Talos content filtering.

There is plethora of other social media / video & music, but I haven't found any TikTok category.

Any help please?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnythingHosted
Building a reputation

I think it's pretty poor that this doesn't appear in the list of Layer 7 firewall rules yet. How often is this updated? ICQ appears in the list though!

I went into content filtering and added this into the blocked url box, which seems to stop the web and app from working. 

tiktok.com
*.tiktok.com

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AnythingHosted
Building a reputation

I think it's pretty poor that this doesn't appear in the list of Layer 7 firewall rules yet. How often is this updated? ICQ appears in the list though!

I went into content filtering and added this into the blocked url box, which seems to stop the web and app from working. 

tiktok.com
*.tiktok.com

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I would run a packet capture while using TikTok from both mobile and desktop and then review the host names and IP addresses used so you can create some rules to block those specifics.  It may not be perfect, but should do the trick with some possibility you need to revisit again if they change some things.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Thank you both for the answers.

michjoh
Conversationalist

I have been trying to figure this out for a while also.  Based on the yelling from my 14 year old son that Tik Tok won't work I on his Iphone, I finally got it right when I added these to my firewall rules. 

michjoh_0-1654807072852.png

BertTECH
Conversationalist

doing this blocked most of it. the app works, but most, not all , of the streams are failing.

Is it still blocked for you?  I blocked no fewer than the recommend domains and IPs and network ranges and, although the site fails in browsers and the Windows desktop app, the TikTok phone app still works like a (cursed) charm. The worst part is having to expose myself to TT crap with every test.

its doing it all now. these 3 entries seemed to make 99% of the videos fail. some of my coworkers use the app. i let them test it for me, the rest of us refuse to install it, treating it like a suspicious link no one wants to click lol.  the 3 entries have not prevented the app install or opening, but the videos fail to load.

rdinan
Comes here often

Will just using tiktokcdn.com, tiktokcdn-us.com  work or do you need to really specify?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels