How much time is needed to switch WAN uplink based on defined performance class?

SOLVED
Kamome
Building a reputation

How much time is needed to switch WAN uplink based on defined performance class?

Today, one of my customer wants to apply some SD-WAN policy to their Meraki network.

Requirement was "Switch VPN uplink when current uplink's RTT is more than 300ms for 10 minutes."

But as you know, there are no time related properties in Meraki's SD-WAN custom performance class.

Only RTT, jitter and loss.

I digged Meraki documentation, but there are no explanation about "how much time is needed to match performance class to trigger switch uplink."

So, to trigger uplink switch, how much time needed to match performance class?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I don't think you can do that.

The performance probes are sent every second. The path decisions are made at the start of every flow based on the results of the measurements of those probes. So the MX would immediately choose.

Also note the failover times table.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I don't think you can do that.

The performance probes are sent every second. The path decisions are made at the start of every flow based on the results of the measurements of those probes. So the MX would immediately choose.

Also note the failover times table.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

Niklas2
Here to help

Hey @Kamome ,

under traffic shaping -> SD-WAN policies you can set "Custom performance classes" and you can apply them to your VPN Traffic and set it to a WAN Interface

2019-04-03 08_36_39-SD-WAN & traffic shaping - Meraki Dashboard – Opera.png2019-04-03 08_37_03-SD-WAN & traffic shaping - Meraki Dashboard – Opera.png

Hope that helps.

Greets

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels