Firmware updates

Solved
tomas209ca
Getting noticed

Firmware updates

I had some random updates get schedule by meraki for some reason. They are being updated to 15.21 even though  i have beta firmware update off. I currently have 15.17-18 in production. I have cancel them for now. Just wondering why they would get pushed out for install.

1 Accepted Solution

The "auto beta off" option is used to prevent the system from upgrading you from the stable train to the beta train.  So to be clear - it wont move between trains.

If you manually move to the beta train it will update it as new betas come out.  When new beta software comes out then most of the existing beta images become obsolete and unsupported.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

15.x is beta.  If you are already running it then you must have beta enabled or meant to, no?

15.21 shows as the most recent from 10/28/2019.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

OK, I think you were asking more specifically why your beta firmware is continuing to update when you turned it off somewhere.  That may be a bug or 'as designed' and I would check with support.  I could imagine that if you are already on beta then Meraki assumes you want to be notified and scheduled for continued beta updates..

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

i installed the beta manaully, but the auto beta firmware is off under General.

The "auto beta off" option is used to prevent the system from upgrading you from the stable train to the beta train.  So to be clear - it wont move between trains.

If you manually move to the beta train it will update it as new betas come out.  When new beta software comes out then most of the existing beta images become obsolete and unsupported.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@tomas209cawe had the same with our MX15.17/18 images when 15.20 came out, I believe as it fixes a significant performance bug.  Interestingly it didn't propose to upgrade 15.14 devices.  We also had similar with switches on MS11.25 as again there was what appears to be a significant bug fix.

As @PhilipDAth said the auto beta off feature is just so that a stable image is not suggested to go to beta, or automatically upgraded by Meraki.

We are using MX15.14 on the MX250 HA concentrators at our SD-WAN core, MX15.20 at most other sites that have HA pairs of MX100 or MX84, with a couple of the MX84 pairs on MX15.21.  Our single internet access only MXs are all on MX15.21 and were on MX15.20 when it came out.  We haven't, touch wood, had any issues...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels