[Experience] Two Mxs with the same Mac Address and Serial Number

Johnfnadez
Building a reputation

[Experience] Two Mxs with the same Mac Address and Serial Number

Hi Merakiers!!!

I have been deploying around 120 Meraki Branches and the last week I got a serious issue with was too hard to troubleshoot.

I was having issues registering the mx bc I did not saw it online in the dashboard. I tried to see if it had the VPN Tunnels up and I saw that another branch wich is not installed yet was taking up their tunnels.

I blink the leds in the MX in the dashboard with another serial number and I saw it blinking.

Then I realized that I had those switches with certain conflict so I performed a lab with them and now I`m seeing in the switch that they have the same mac address

Johnny Fernandez
Network & Security Engineer
CCNP | JNCIP-SEC | CMNA
4 REPLIES 4
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

They won't actually have the same MAC address, the switch will be misinforming you.  Perhaps try a different port as there may be a config issue.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do the MAC addresses on their stickers match what the units are reporting?

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

The only time I've ever seen two MX's with the same MAC is when they are configured together in Warm Spare. In that scenario the spare unit will use the MAC of the Primary (on the LAN only) anytime it transitions to Master. 

Johnfnadez
Building a reputation

Nop It does not. Actually you can see that each sticker has it`s own MAC and SN.

But connecting to the network you can see the same mac address wich belong to one of them.

Mac+1 bc it´s connected to the Uplink 1

Johnny Fernandez
Network & Security Engineer
CCNP | JNCIP-SEC | CMNA
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels