Easy MX Question I hope

DGrom
Here to help

Easy MX Question I hope

I am trying to setup an MX unit.  Here is the way i have it setup

Internet 1 is set to SFP.  Connection Type is direct and no VLAN tagging.  it's set to static IP address that has the Ip address, netmask, gateway that was given to me by the ISP.  DNS is set to google

Internet 2 is a regular consumer line connection that is set to Ethernet, No VLAN and DHCP. 

The internet 2 connection works.  The first one does not.  I have been reading but i don't see where i did anything wrong?  Any help would be appreciated.

THis is what it looks like:

DGrom_0-1713389967181.png

12 Replies 12
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Double check if the sfp and cable is correct.

Then i would call the isp and ask of they could double check the isp router and ip info

DGrom
Here to help

I have been in touch with ATT.  This is what they gave me.  Super frustrating as this just drags on.

Chrismt2
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello,

Make sure that the static configuration on WAN 1 is exactly what the ISP gave. If the configuration is not applying then the MX might be having issues reaching the gateway of the ISP. If you are still having issues I recommend opening a case with Meraki support.

K2_Josh
Building a reputation

This might be a comboport issue, depending on the MX model. If you lookup the MX model the installation guide should make it clear which ports to use when mixing SFP and copper uplinks.

Providing link to what was mentioned above https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Overviews_and_Specifications/WAN_behavior_on_MX75%2F%2F85%2F%...

Is your SFP in physical WAN port 1 (top) or 2 (bottom)? And was it inserted on boot?

it looks like this Ryan.  

DGrom_0-1713398944059.png

Well thats not right.  it was port 2 and 4

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Take a look at the link Ryan posted - in particular the truth tables.
For many MX's, when Port 2 (SFP) is enabled, Port 4 (RJ45) will be disabled.

Try using SFP Port 1 instead.
Keep in mind that after moving the SFP to port 1, you will need to reboot as SFP detection occurs on bootup

And that logic all changes in 18.2 with backup WAN (3rd WAN) in which SFP 1, 2, and copper port 4 are the active ports.

But that aside the MX75-105 use paired WAN interfaces in which if a SFP is detected on boot it will become the active port and its paired copper WAN (if it exists - MX85-105) be be disabled (SFP 1 & copper 3 = pair 1, SFP 2 & copper 4 = pair 2).

I read that and I think i understand now better.  Here is a question, does it matter which active internet is labeled here?  For example  Can internet one be ethernet or does it have to be SFP?

DGrom_0-1713456340409.png

Thanks,

Dan

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Either can be either, but for internet 1 to be SFP then port 1 needs to be used and port 3 needs to have no cable in it.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can use either port 1 or 2 for the SFP, but it will impact which port the RJ-45 cable goes.

Using Port 1 for SFP means that you cannot use port 3 for your RJ-45 connection (you'll need to use port 4)
Using Port 2 for SFP means that you cannot use port 4 for your RJ-45 connection (you'll need to use port 3)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels