Does Meraki Z3 Support LLDP?

SOLVED
frogpuff
Here to help

Does Meraki Z3 Support LLDP?

I have a Meraki Z3 that does not seem to be broadcasting LLDP information on any of the access ports.

Is LLDP supported on the Z3, and is it enabled be default?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Make_IT_Simple
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I just did the same thing with my MX67 and see it sending LLDP:

Make_IT_Simple_0-1647639888125.png

From which interface are you taking the pcap? don't take it from the z3, you need to take it from the switch uplink port facing the z3

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, the MX doesn't do any LLDP. I also would like to have it (at least configurable).

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Oh damn!!! The documentation is right, The MX supports LLDP. I was thinking about the dashboard that doesn't show us the information. I think I need a coffee ...

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Z3 supports LLDP. From a pcap I just took of mine.

z3 lldp.png

rymikles,

Is this enabled by default on the Z3?  My Z3 does not show any LLDP data when running a packet capture.  I have looked at the configuration page of my Z3 and I do not see anything close to LLDP or even specific port configuration settings like I have on my MS200

A Z3 or any MX is not a switch and doesn’t have the same features of a MS. That aside it supports LLDP by default. 

Make_IT_Simple
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

LLDP is enabled by default. Bounce the port and take another capture from the LAN.

I bounced the entire unit, I see my laptop broadcasting LLDP, but nothing sourced from the Z3. I am running firmware MX16.16, which shows "up to date".

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It’s even on the internet port when running as VPN-concentrator:

KarstenI_0-1647639732255.png

Make_IT_Simple
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I just did the same thing with my MX67 and see it sending LLDP:

Make_IT_Simple_0-1647639888125.png

From which interface are you taking the pcap? don't take it from the z3, you need to take it from the switch uplink port facing the z3

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MX and Z3 will transmit LLDP information.  They however will not display received LLDP packet information in the Meraki Dashboard.

frogpuff
Here to help

Thanks everyone.  I was running my PCAP from my laptop connected to one of the Z3 LAN ports. I have an application on my corporate laptop (RedSky My E911 Client) that relies on LLDP to discover the wired network it is connected to for E911 compliance.  I am seeing the Z3 connected to my home network.

3560X-UPOE_L3_Switch#sh lldp neighbors  gi0/5
Capability codes:
    (R) Router, (B) Bridge, (T) Telephone, (C) DOCSIS Cable Device
    (W) WLAN Access Point, (P) Repeater, (S) Station, (O) Other

Device ID           Local Intf     Hold-time  Capability      Port ID
Z3-Teleworker-12890 Gi0/5          120        R               0 
Total entries displayed: 1
3560X-UPOE_L3_Switch#
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels