Disney Circle

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Disney Circle

Has anyone configured a Disney Circle device to work with an MX? I guess the device uses ARP Spoofing/Poisoning re: https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001381932-How-Does-Circle-Work- and Meraki's don't appear to be supported per https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001381571-Router-Compatibility-and-Circle

I don't have the Disney Circle on hand yet to test but here are some of the thoughts I had: Is there a way to have the MX DHCP assign the Disney Circle IP as the default gateway to avoid the need for spoofing/poisoning?  Is there a setting on the MX that internally blocks ARP Spoofing/Poisoning?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
8 REPLIES 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Wow that sounds like a poorly thought out network design by Disney!

ARP spoofing itself does not require the gateway to support it.  The Disney device will just need to respond more aggressively, and/or rely on clients accepting gratuitous arps.

Alas you can not configure the MX to give out a default gateway other than itself.  Perhaps the Disney device has a built in DHCP server itself?

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

I wonder what the IDS/IPS functionality of the MX would think about this...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The Meraki MX would report that their is a duplicate IP address on the network.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

I'll be testing it in the near future so I'll report the results.  I like the idea/ability of the Disney Circle to make managing access time easy.  But strange implementation.  

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@Adam why not just use group policies and schedules if that's your goal? 

Adam
Kind of a big deal

@jdsilva, the circle makes it very easy for the average home user to manage dynamic policies.  If you take a pass through this https://cdn.meetcircle.com/support-files/User+Manual+-+Circle.pdf you can do some unique stuff like: setting time limits, bed time, off time, rewards etc.  Look at pg 55 forward.   

DWHat
New here

I have.

What I did was plug it directly to a switch port, set the VLAN on that switch port to the same VLAN as the wireless devices, and walked off.  It worked as intended, without affecting the rest of the network.

We no longer use it for two reasons:  Group policies in the MX and Apple's Screentime implementation in iOS 12.  The latter made the Circle irrelevant in our setup.  

Adam
Kind of a big deal

I plugged it directly into the MX but that port was setup on the same vlan as the wireless.  Worked as intended, no issues. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels