Devices moving policies Dynamically

SOLVED
AkilahIS
Conversationalist

Devices moving policies Dynamically

Hi Everyone,

We have about 1000 PC (windows) client devices, all set to be in Policy 'Student". We have had numerous issues with students coming to us to say they cannot connect or the internet is *very* slow. When we dig into it they have moved policy to 'normal' which is restricted to 20Kbps. Somehow they have been reassigned but not by a member of the IS staff. something is not right or the MX250 has been hacked...

Can anyone throw any light on this?

THanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

reapply the policy and check to be sure no other device is doing DHCP from an unknown Vlan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @AkilahIS 

Two things.

One check the Organization - Change Log. To verify if the settings are modified.

Two by any chance the devices are assigned with another VLAN and your Global Policy is applied.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

HI Ajit,

I will check the logs for sure...thanks for reminding I had not done that.

We do not have any VLANS configured right now its a flat layer 3 network.

THanks!

/M

reapply the policy and check to be sure no other device is doing DHCP from an unknown Vlan

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>We do not have any VLANS configured right now its a flat layer 3 network.

Group policy assignments only work for layer 2 adjacent clients to the MX.

If you have an MX, and then a layer 3 switch, and then clients hanging off VLANs off the layer 3 switch then they wont work.

The clients will appear to have the MAC address of the layer 3 switch - and the group policy will actually apply to that.  This will make it look like the policy is working - but it is not actually applied to the correct place.

HI Phillip,

This is useful info, thank you. Actually, there was a typo...its a flat layer 2 with no Vlans.

We are planning now to start subnetting with multiple VLANS and IP addressing accordingly so your reply was very timely.

I spoke with Meraki support also and it seems we also have an overloading problem so upgrading to MR45 from MR33....

Thanks everyone for the help, very much appreciated.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>I spoke with Meraki support also and it seems we also have an overloading problem so upgrading to MR45 from MR33....

Althought the MR45 is a great choice (and my preferred AP to sell new clients) if you are experiencing client overloading then the solution is more access points rather than replacing existing APs with better APs.

We have also ordered more APs..... 🙂

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels